How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First frost last night and some wet snow today. It's very wet here and no
sunshine. I'm awfully glad I installed LED lights in my greenhouse and my Phrags. are blooming
well and lots of new growth. Kentucky is a little north and a little south, so
we usually get a strange mix of weather. I hope you get some
respite from the rain; it does get rather gloomy.

Visibility less than a mile, fire smoke soot thick settling on everything, temps dropping to freezing, my garden hose froze up in the morning, daytime high in the 60s. damn fires!!!

The weather at the moment here in two words - bloody hot. The heat since Christmas has been relentless. Most days have been around the mid 30 degrees Celsius. The last four days have been over 40oC (Wednesday 41.6) which is a record for this region. To put that in a historical perspective, the 25 year period between 1973 and 1998 never had a single day that reached 40oC in Canberra. This week we had four days in a row. A cool change has come through and so the temperature today will be only 33oC today but then it is mid to high 30's for the rest of next week.

The hottest my glasshouse got was 38.1oC. Temperatures were mostly around 35 to 36oC during the day. I keep the humidity above 50%. No sign of any plant stress. I actually think the multi-floral Paphs love those high temperatures.

Last edited:
It's going to be about 60F/15.5C here today, with a chance of rain. Tomorrow night and Monday, were supposed to see mornings in the low 20s/-5-ish.

Went offshore on Thursday, and we loaded up on black sea bass. Yummm.

I was just reminded of one of the coldest days I ever experienced. Great Lakes , Illinois, outside of Chicago. Jan 20 1985. It was around -30 F and a -80 Wind Chill. I was in US Navy trade school in Great Lakes.I tried walking to the cafeteria and got about one tenth of the way there before I turned around, almost passed out before I got back.

Its very cold in Chicago, in 2 weeks it will be pretty warm in Montreal. Climate changes from week to week, so does the weather, but what can we do?

Something I have wondered, and wondered how you'd ever know:

If you know anything about basic statistics, you know that all systems have natural variation, and attempts to correct for that variation is called "tampering", and often leads to greater variation.

So applying that to climate change, are our efforts to "correct" it leading to the greater variation we're experiencing?

can we please stay focused on the intention of this thread and not let it devolve into one of Berthold's annoying pet projects again

Seattle about to get it's winter...which some of you would call a cold spring..we might even get snow next week..for five minutes

Seattle about to get it's winter...which some of you would call a cold spring..we might even get snow next week..for five minutes

Don't worry

46962513351_1cb745db57_z.jpg

I accept weather forecast especially long term weather forecast only by scientific meteorologist, not by prophet. The only exception is by Phil on Feb 2.

The show is quite................Keep sending the clowns please!!!

Latest posts

Back