Howdy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphius

Reaction score
Been bouncing around on here for a few days and figured I should properly introduce myself. I have been a longtime lurker of this forum over the years (which is an excellent source of information!) but hadn't posted anything. I decided to change that! :)

I have grown orchids for most of my life (started when I was about 8 or so), and have always had a soft spot for the tropical slippers. I grew up in FL and had a small collection which I gave up when I moved up to IN for graduate school. However, I found I couldn't stay away for long and soon started accumulating plants again! Recently, I decided to more actively throw myself into the hobby as a whole. Since space was limited, I decided to focus mainly on species paphs, since paphs were what I predominately grew previously. For my grow space, I built an indoor grow-tent with LED lights and an automated misting system for humidity, which is almost exclusively how I've been growing things for the past 5 years..

413572533.jpg

I also grow a few phrags (although I am *much* newer to them), which I grow on my kitchen bar so they stay more moderate in terms of temp (the grow tent room can get quite hot in the summer and quite cold in the winter).

413572532.jpg

Anyways, howdy! Can't wait to pick your brains on your collective growing experience and share in the fun.

(Also, finishing up grad school soon, but I learned my lesson the first time around - when I move again, the plants are coming with :p.)

Welcome aboard!

Yeah, the same. As soon as I got out of school, I started to rebuild my collection. hate moving and won't be doing any of it for a looong time hopefully. lol

Thanks! Yeah, moving sucks. Although I am looking forward to being able to get a greenhouse and have some more space. I toyed with the idea of just starting over again, but I now have some things that would be quite difficult/expensive to replace (such as a paph sanderianum which is now about blooming size!). So, the plants are definitely coming along for the ride.

Thanks!

Good decision to take your plants with you when you move.

Yeah, once I started to tally all the ones I would absolutely want to keep, I realized that it wouldn't be *that* much more work to just bring them all... :p

Welcome from Texas! I started growing when I was 9- over 30 years ago. I have met thousands of orchid growers since, but you are the first I have encountered who started even younger than I.

Great to have you here.

you are the first I have encountered who started even younger than I.

Lol, not by much though! :p. Helps when your parents are heavily into plants as well.

Also, to be fair, I did take a couple hiatuses over the years due to school, work, moving and just life in general.

Latest posts

Back