How to use Orthene, please???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPaph

Reaction score
Dear friends. Some months ago I posted a situation asking about the best insecticide for killing Mealy. Majority agreed in Orthene. Currently, I have Orthene in my hands. It has a concentration of 97.4 % (powder). Use directions explains that for orchids it must be diluted 8 Oz by 100 gallons of water. I have calculated the necessary powder quantity for one gallon, an it resulted in 0.227 gr x gallon.
My first question: Is apropiate to use it in my orchids with such concentration??
Second question: Is fine calculation I did?
Thank you very much for your help!!!!!

You’re off by a couple of decimal points. 8 oz = 1/2 lb = 227 g. Divided by 100 = 2.27 g/gal or about 0.6 g/L.

Orthene/Acephate has been my go-to “big gun” for decades at that concentration (or higher). Wet all exposed plants surfaces and drench the potting media, doing so 3 times at one week intervals.

Ray summed it up Superpaph…
Last fall before moving plants inside I used Orthene at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Stink bugs were really bad last fall and it was basically impossible to remove them all by hand. Orthene killed Stinkbugs, I am still finding them dead in the foliage/bark. Also, I saw no negative effects on any of the plants from the use of Orthene at 1 teaspoon to the gallon. I also believe I have read on this forum of Orthene being used at 1 tablespoon/gallon.

Ray summed it up Superpaph…
Last fall before moving plants inside I used Orthene at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Stink bugs were really bad last fall and it was basically impossible to remove them all by hand. Orthene killed Stinkbugs, I am still finding them dead in the foliage/bark. Also, I saw no negative effects on any of the plants from the use of Orthene at 1 teaspoon to the gallon. I also believe I have read on this forum of Orthene being used at 1 tablespoon/gallon.

It´s perfect Ray. Thank you very much!!!

just adding this word of further info...

acephate (the key ingredient in orthene) has been linked to an increase in mite populations (that MAY also be in your plants if they are coming in from outside)... IF mites are also a concern in your situation, a multi pronged attack is advised

just adding this word of further info...

acephate (the key ingredient in orthene) has been linked to an increase in mite populations (that MAY also be in your plants if they are coming in from outside)... IF mites are also a concern in your situation, a multi pronged attack is advised
Hi, Rich.

I know that was the case with imidacloprid, but I've never heard that about acephate.

Hi, Rich.

I know that was the case with imidacloprid, but I've never heard that about acephate.
Wouldn’t it be because of both imidacloprid and acephate not killing mites, but killing just about everything else, that the loss of beneficials could cause mite overgrowth? In my experience very specific miticides are needed if mites are present.

Back