How to have Paph. micranthum hold a spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbjd

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post!
I have a Paph. micranthum for about 3 years now that has tried to make a bud twice and aborted before the stem could grow. The plant is trying once again to make a bud and I don't know what to do to save it.
I grow under lights and in a grow tent since March. I am keeping my Paphs wetter now but days consistently go to 30C (86F) even with AC. Night temps are 22-24C (72-76F). Plant has good roots but clearly wants to bloom. The moss is just a top dressing for extra humidity.

Attachments

• 20200620_214109.jpg
    20200620_214109.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 46
The only advise that I can give you is that once you water it make sure the water doesn't stay in the sheath. I currently have a armeniacum in sheath and that is what I'm doing. We can't control temps. all the time. Here we are having a heat wave. Was 93 degrees F. today. Just keeping the moss wet and the sheath dry. Hope others can chime in as we all need to learn.

Good advice. The leaf around the sheath is still tightly closed.

It is just a top dressing with bark beneath. I am not sure it is necessary for this species.

Here's an update on the Paph micranthum. No sign of aborting the bloom yet but I think there is still a lot of waiting. I can not see that there is another leaf inside that likely holds the bud.

Attachments

• 20200727_114140.jpg
    20200727_114140.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 24
Are you feeding with calcium? I think they need Cal-Mag to bloom. Also, what everybody else said about not watering the leaves is true but I advise misting with RO water in the area — not to wet the plant, but to raise the humidity of the grow — every morning. Do you have a hygrometer? You want to get up around 70% humidity, at least for a few hours of the day.

Watering is very important in my limited experience. I would not allow the pot to go bone dry (no more than one day, as soon as I know that the pot is dry, it is watered well) once I spot any signs of sheath and I do this until I have an open bloom. I see that the sheath is just appearing in the center on your plant. It could emerge without pause but all of mine took many months from the first sight of an emerging sheath (some time in the fall) to an open bloom (around April). The sheath would sit low for a few months until around March, then suddenly it would grow quickly in just about one month or so.

Are you feeding with calcium? I think they need Cal-Mag to bloom. Also, what everybody else said about not watering the leaves is true but I advise misting with RO water in the area — not to wet the plant, but to raise the humidity of the grow — every morning. Do you have a hygrometer? You want to get up around 70% humidity, at least for a few hours of the day.
I am actually out of a fertilizer with Cal-Mag but I hope to get some soon. I am using some nutrient treatments (Kelp extract) which should have at least some micro-nutrients, also I spike the media with crusher oyster shell. The humidity is usually in the 60s but I am try misting more. Thanks

Watering is very important in my limited experience. I would not allow the pot to go bone dry (no more than one day, as soon as I know that the pot is dry, it is watered well) once I spot any signs of sheath and I do this until I have an open bloom. I see that the sheath is just appearing in the center on your plant. It could emerge without pause but all of mine took many months from the first sight of an emerging sheath (some time in the fall) to an open bloom (around April). The sheath would sit low for a few months until around March, then suddenly it would grow quickly in just about one month or so.
Thanks for the advice I will keep it a little wetter!

Latest posts

Back