How to grow a phrag that's sticking 6 inches out of the pot.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you suggest this technique for my Hanne Popow? I'm hesitant to cut a perfectly good growth off a seedling, but I want the new growth to be able to root. What do you guys think?

DSC00111_Small_.JPG

I have a Phrag. Don Wimber that just loves to put 4-inches of rhizome between each growth. It would be great to have a deep, narrow pot. But do these pots come in a clear or an opaque color? I really enjoy watching the roots grow as much as the leaves and flowers. Do these pots come in a S/H version where there's a solid bottom?

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

It's possible but if the smaller one tries to root and there's no media it will pass away. Glen Decker advised wripping a little sphagnum moss around the root exposed root and wrapping it in a plastic wrap to hold moisture until the root grew long enough to raise the media to. Maybe that will work.

I've also found that you can use the large clear containers you buy food items in at Sam's Club. Containers such as peanut butter and there are some large square containers. If your not looking for esthetics these make great s/h pots after you cut the tops off and drill drain holes. I also watch for the tall round clear acrylic canisters (sets and singles) at thrift stores and garage sales. Just take off the lids and hardware, drill holes and your set to grow.

I hate phrags that do that! Not all besseae types do. Usually when I get a plant that does that I try to punt it.

e-spice

Latest posts

Back