How to contact Orchid Zone

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find the address on the net if you search. They are not doing any small retail sales that I know of. Hard place to get permission to visit if you don't already know them. Great plants and breeding.

I don't know that the minimum is $1000, but I don't think you can get Terry's attention for anything much less than that. Once he knows who you are and knows you are a good customer, it works well.

I am not looking for a purchase. I am tracing the history of a particular cross and it leads to him.

I have tried searching the net. The only site that had a link brought up one of those generic redirect link sites.

IdahoOrchid said:
I am not looking for a purchase. I am tracing the history of a particular cross and it leads to him.

I have tried searching the net. The only site that had a link brought up one of those generic redirect link sites.

Do you need to get a name for the cross, or do you have some other question? PM me.

If its simply getting the name or parentage of a cross, its no problem. I once bought a paph with an Orchid Zone tag, but only a number. I looked up the place, emailed them with the number, and Terry got back to me within a day or 2 with the parentage of the cross. Take care, Eric

i don't think it is. i think they've always been wholesale.
from what i've heard about the peoy thing, i think it's that they imported flasks that were reputed to be sanderianum but were in fact peoy...

Thanks for breaking the ice Heather. I was trying to be more discreet and not raise any ire unless it was required.

You mean kind of like the kovatchii thing going on now? Customers think they are buying a pure species, but are not. So all the breeding they do with them (normally in good faith and without knowing about the discrepency) are tainted by the "foreign" genes, forever. Then, years later, people like me may have purchased one of these genetically misguided plants, possibly from someone that KNEW that their breeding plants were tainted.

it was supposed to have been sand 'deep pockets' x 'jacobs ladder'. if memory serves correctly, it was an unintentional lab mix-up which they did try to rectify once the problem was discovered.

IdahoOrchid said:
Thanks for breaking the ice Heather. I was trying to be more discreet and not raise any ire unless it was required.

As I said earlier, I just don't see any reason to dance around an issue that is really quite old and really well known. I did a google search for OZ sanderianums and turned up a whole bunch of info. It's no secret.

The 'Deep Pockets' x 'Jacobs Ladder' cross that OZ was distributing were Prince Edward of York. Terry almost lost his business trying to make that right, I think.

It is easy to tell when they bloom, if nothing else. There isn't really much debate about it, there was some sort of flasking mixup, this kind of thing happens.

I can't believe people are still trying to drag the PEOY skeleton out of the closet. I have talked with Terry at length on the subject, and obviously no one regrets the mixup more than him. It's an old story, but one that some folks seem determined to keep alive.

By the way, those PEOYs weren't exactly candidates for the compost heap!

Regards,
Rick

from what i've read about him, i figured he was the type who would
make it right, but i had only heard about the fiasco but not was done
about cleaning it up. thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
No skeletons or closets involved in this question.

The reason I brought this whole matter up was that a person that I respect has questioned that the plant I have is a sand. He says he recognizes the tag as coming from OZ through a reseller in HI and ultimately from orchidtn on ebay. The name of the cross on the tag is 'Long Dorsal' x 'White Hair'.

Attached are pics of the plant and the leaf tips. Any other "experts" out there than can help quell my concerns?

Attachments

• sanderianum-.jpg
    sanderianum-.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Tip-One.jpg
    Tip-One.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Tip-Two.jpg
    Tip-Two.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Tip-Three.jpg
    Tip-Three.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 29
I must caveat my response by saying that I only have one of each, so my sample size is small. Nevertheless, your pictures look MUCH more like my sand. than it does like my PEOY. The leaves on your's are more horizontal and rounded than they are on my PEOY, but just like they are on my sand. Take it for what its worth. Best of luck with this concern. I think it is a sand.

~P

Latest posts

Back