How much improvement is likely in roths future bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first bloom roths are starting to open and I'm starting to consider what is worth keeping and what isn't. This one has two major flaws in my eyes, narrow sepals and droopy petals. Are either likely to improve enough to make it worth several more years of taking up bench space or would it be better to cull it now?

Attachments

• 20220225_141734.jpg
    20220225_141734.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220225_163405.jpg
    20220225_163405.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 48
Only two flowers, but I'm not worried about that. Between the cold, dark winter we had and me not being able to keep up with feeding as well as I should have last summer my flower counts are low on everything this year. I'm just wondering if it could improve enough to justify several more years in my greenhouse or if it is likely to bloom again with a better count but still have droopy petals and narrow sepals.

Only two flowers, but I'm not worried about that. Between the cold, dark winter we had and me not being able to keep up with feeding as well as I should have last summer my flower counts are low on everything this year. I'm just wondering if it could improve enough to justify several more years in my greenhouse or if it is likely to bloom again with a better count but still have droopy petals and narrow sepals.
I say you never know. You can’t know. You don’t list any parentage of your plants here. You admit that your culture was subpar, by your own standards, so blaming the results on the plants doesn’t seem fair. I hope that by “cull,” you mean give away or sell. An easy-blooming Roth is not to be sneezed at and those “droopy” laterals presumably preserve a wild trait that allows them easily to shed rain.

I say you never know. You can’t know. You don’t list any parentage of your plants here. You admit that your culture was subpar, by your own standards, so blaming the results on the plants doesn’t seem fair. I hope that by “cull,” you mean give away or sell. An easy-blooming Roth is not to be sneezed at and those “droopy” laterals presumably preserve a wild trait that allows them easily to shed rain.

In my eyes parentage only matters before a bloom, to give you an idea of the potential a seedling has. Once it blooms it is good or it is not, a turd from two FCC parents is still a turd. In any case the cross is 'New Horizon' × 'Raptor'. I posted to get some feedback from serious growers who are more experienced in seeing roths mature over time, I don't have a problem blooming them and I have at least 50 more roths and hundreds of other plants so if it's not likely to improve enough to justify its bench space then it needs to go. "It blooms" might be good enough for the windowsill crowd but I'm trying to build a quality collection.

Nice roth, but if you are looking for something in the awardable realm, I would move on from this one.

I have a few seedlings left from a flask of this cross, but they are a few years away.

I would cull too. It has a lot of flaws as you say. The colour is also average and the petals are very thin. Unfortunately a lot of these things are not going to improve much in future. Given you have so many roth's coming through, I don't think it is worth pursuing.

This cross is proving to be disappointing. Of the flowers I have seen, the dark colour of raptor is just not coming through. The flowers seem to be dominated by 'New Horizon' but not in a good way.

I wonder if the petals are droopy because the humidity was low and it had been very hot. That happens with mine in such conditions. They normally look best in the early morning.

Last edited:
I would cull too. It has a lot of flaws as you say. The colour is also average and the petals are very thin. Unfortunately a lot of these things are not going to improve much in future. Given you have so many roth's coming through, I don't think it is worth pursuing.

This cross is proving to be disappointing. Of the flowers I have seen, the dark colour of raptor is just not coming through. The flowers seem to be dominated by 'New Horizon's but not in a good way.

I wonder if the petals are droopy because the humidity was low and it had been very hot. That happens with mine in such conditions. They normally look best in the early morning.

I have two of the cross and the second holds its petals well compared to the first so I doubt it's environmental. Both are dominated by 'New Horizon' as you've said, the second I'll give another chance to see how it does on a more mature plant. It will probably end up being a future cull as well but it seems to have more potential than the first.

Attachments

• 20220226_095249.jpg
    20220226_095249.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 26
My favorite so far is one I didn't have particularly high expectations for, ('Jungle Select' × 'Atlantis') × '426'. I picked up two on the cheap a couple of years ago just for the hell of it. The only parent I could find a record of is Atlantis, an SM/TPS from almost 20 years ago but I love the color and proportions. The sibling is a few weeks behind and I'm curious now to see how it turns out.

Attachments

• 20220226_092421.jpg
    20220226_092421.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220226_154028.jpg
    20220226_154028.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220226_154036.jpg
    20220226_154036.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 20
I have two of the cross and the second holds its petals well compared to the first so I doubt it's environmental. Both are dominated by 'New Horizon' as you've said, the second I'll give another chance to see how it does on a more mature plant. It will probably end up being a future cull as well but it seems to have more potential than the first.

Yes, a bit better but still very consistent with how this cross is turning out. It is almost hard to believe Raptor could be a parent in these seedlings. It just goes to show, that even with the very best breeding, you have to flower a lot to get a good one. And some crosses, that include very good parents, just don't seem to produce quality seedlings.

Here is raptor.

Raptor.JPG

My favorite so far is one I didn't have particularly high expectations for, ('Jungle Select' × 'Atlantis') × '426'. I picked up two on the cheap a couple of years ago just for the hell of it. The only parent I could find a record of is Atlantis, an SM/TPS from almost 20 years ago but I love the color and proportions. The sibling is a few weeks behind and I'm curious now to see how it turns out.

That one is nicer. Better colour and a nicer dorsal.

Size, flower count, and segment width will improve with age, but a dud will always be a dud. These are big plants; be ruthless in your culling.

I flowered half a dozen of this cross this past spring and they were among some of the best. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Back