How long till you know it's a dud?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
So I sent in some seeds back towards the end of January for flasking. a (phil x maudiae type) x phil....and I thought they were checked for embryos under a mircroscope prior to flasking to see if they were viable...wrong. So i jumped the gun and sent another email three weeks later asking if he knew if they were good or not...he mentioned they just flask them and wait, but sometimes even then they germinate only to die later from "we think lethal genes".

So here it is May, and I'm busting to know what the deal is. Anyone think that it's been long enough to send another email or should I wait??

Where did you send the seed? Most people do an assay before going to the trouble and expense of flasking out bad seed. I'd say next time be sure to request the assay.

I take it that it was dry seed you sent ???. Not flasking them for 3 weeks approx' after receiving them is a worry also. They would have had to sterilize the seed which can cause non germination. The seed should have germinated by now and viability and potential seedling numbers could be given. "Lethal genes", good name for " we don't know what we are doing".

Yes send another email but be patient as well. Depending on the seed germination may take several months to a year. Some germinates in a few weeks. Some starts to swell and then may "brown out" sometimes caused by higher temps or "hot" medium. It's not a perfect science.

Almost all paph seed I send to Troy Meyers germinates (if good to start with) within a couple of months. Most in a little over a month, rarely more than 3 months.

He also keeps paph seed dark during the germination time, checks them after a month. If no germination or intervention is needed the lights go back out for another month.

It sounds like the dark germination is rather specific for his paph seed strategy.

Although there have been batches of seed with embryos present, there is no guarantee of germination. Also he has stored orchid seed for weeks or months and got germination. He routinely "sterilizes" seed before it is sown.

Back