How do you maintain for a healthy program? Products you use?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kat

I'm looking into a regular maintenance plan.
All types of orchids.

What are you using for happy plants, which products do you use? What do they like in products and which do they hate?

Fungus? Fert? Bug repellent? You get the idea, just everything?

I find my plants don't like anything!!!! So we :sob: need a change.

For me,
Level 1- alcohol on a paper towel to get rid of pests. If a plant shows fungal damage cut of the bad part and treat w/ Dragon's Blood.
Level 2- Safers insecticidal formula and Physan [poisonous], fungicide/algicide/coat leaf- end w/ Captan [Highly poisonous].

I water almost every day! And I fertilize almost every other time [I grow mostly hydro]

First remind us on this thread what plants you have.
Hmmm if your plants don't like anything, the first thing I'd question is - is the overall culture correct for this plant? (Light, temps, air movement, potting media, pot size & water quality). I think water quality is the single most important factor when growing any type of orchid. I usually can collect enough rainwater for my plants, if not I have a grocery store that has RO water for 39 cents/gal., bring your container. So my regular maintanence is water, fertilize every 7-10 days ( I have 5 different brands, I can't say that I see a difference using just one brand). I treat each plant individually for what is detected or what seems to be ailing them. I prefer natural products over chemicals. I use neem oil, or soap, water & alcohol for pests. For fungus/rots the first thing I grab is Dragon's blood &/ cinnamon. Good air circulation is going to help with some pests & fungal problems. What works for me, will not necessarily work for you or others, everyone's conditions are different.If you post pictures of an ailing plant it would help us to make suggestions to you.

I have pretty much every different kind, several of each. I keep them outside in a screened patio. Some hang under a pine tree for shade, these don't do much of anything I must say. Eliments are right but they just sit there. Florida water :confused: who knows about that!
I've tried Schultz fert. a couple others. Bayer products. Will be buying the Superthrive as soon as I can get to the plant store.
Drench Water weekly, weakly. Watch every week or so for pests. Repot when needed as everyone.
Epsom salt, I just read something about that I'll try it.
I'd do anything more for these plants pamper wise but I don't know what else to do.

I have pretty much every different kind, several of each. I keep them outside in a screened patio. Some hang under a pine tree for shade, these don't do much of anything I must say.

If the light was correct I kinda doubt that it wouldn't do much of anything. How long have you had the plants? Again if you know what they are ... paph, phrag, phal, cattleya, etc., PLEASE tell us so we can advise.

Eliments are right but they just sit there. Florida water :confused: who knows about that!

Get a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)meter, one can get them off ebay at a reasonable price ($25-35). Do you have city water or well water? You can have your water tested. Do you have gutters/downspouts? Collect the rainwater! Put a 5 gallon bucket under one!

I've tried Schultz fert. a couple others. Bayer products. Will be buying the Superthrive as soon as I can get to the plant store.
Drench Water weekly, weakly. Watch every week or so for pests. Repot when needed as everyone.
Epsom salt, I just read something about that I'll try it.
I'd do anything more for these plants pamper wise but I don't know what else to do.
It won't make too much difference what brand of fertilizer you use if the water quality is poor & the light's not right. I have mostly slippers, some catts & bulbos. I have seedlings to adult plants & I can't say that I have to pamper any of them. .....maybe your over doing???

You can get a home Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) system for a couple hundred buck$ to get salt/mineral free water then add whichever fertilizer you need.

Culture, culture, culture...Rose is right on. Correcting for air movement, lighting, good water and fertilizing are going to get you the best results. Chemicals are just a band-aid for many things. Depending on chemicals won't fix the root of the problems. Don't get me wrong, I use chemicals and pesticides when necessary, but my main goal is to treat for the problem and then correct my culture so the problem is solved. Some people swear by a maintenance program like you've suggested, but I've never followed a routine..just try to give my plants what they need and treat when issues appear.

One other thing to consider ....... if you are relying on natural daylight hours that could be why your plants are doing nothing. The short day length hours we are in now puts some plants into a dormant like state. Even though I have GH, as well as indoor growing spots, most of my plants are supplemented with artificial light to lengthen daylight hours to 10-12 hours.

I agree with Candace, good culture trumps all chemicals. If you have good light, good water, lots of air, repot on schedule and fertilize as the seasons dictate your plants will thrive. After that it is just a matter of observation as you need to be aware of problems at an early point.

I have a handy spray bottle of rubbing alchohol always ready and can spot spray scale or mealybug if it shows up. It works great for nighttime slug visits also... As far as other chemicals, I try to avoid them as much as possible as they are not really good for my health. Vigilence......

Ha! It's actually the neighbors tree doubling in size over the years, that has been starting to partially shade a small secton of my g.h. But good news! Our recent wind storm split it and it may not survive:evil:

Back