House plants for (really) low light

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Tom499

Reaction score
I have recently moved apartments and after arranging my orchids and other plants by the windows I have now have some spaces left in dark corners which I would like to have something green. I don't have a light meter so I cannot give specifics, but an example would be 7-8 feet back in a west facing windowed room.

An internet search will bring up lists for low light plants, but the vast majority include plants I would not regard as low light (Phalaenopsis?!) or are plants which certainly wouldn't thrive.I'm currently imagining that my best bet would be some sp. of ferns, clubmosses but I'm open to all plants of all sizes.

I'm sure some of you have interesting plants thriving in dark corners of your home or greenhouse, I want to know :)

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, there was a “corn plant” (Dracaena fragrans) in an extremely dark corner of the lobby at my last office that thrived and even bloomed.

it was at least 20 feet from an east-facing window that had a 6-foot awning extended over it. It was illuminated by a 60 watt incandescent bulb, from below.

monocotman

Reaction score
Spathiphyllum, the peace lilies, are pretty good in low light and look decent when not in flower,
David

Reactions: eds

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Recommending some old standards:

1) Begonia heterophylla, Beefsteak Begonia.

2) Clivia miniata

3) Aspidistra

cnycharles

Peloric keiki
Reaction score
Snake plant/mother in laws tongue (sansevieria) will survive in any low light
You can even put papyrus in a low light spot, it will just stay small

Latest posts