Horrific blooming of a Paph. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the commiseration! I would be very disheartened if this was a first bloom on a seed grown plant, but I have hope that the next round will be normal.

Stephen, you're near Baltimore Hon? John Waters would be proud!
I'm not too far from Baltimore, although I don't know who John Waters is.

Freak'in weird Stephen. Please don't post this on your web page,ok?
I've considered adding a freaks page to the site. This would fit in well.

The lpant looks so healthy too.
The plant's doing well. I am hoping for a 4-year rebloom time since it's not growing in optimal conditions (indoors, humidity lower than I'd like).

Wrong hairdo! lol

Unique, though!

Bloom it, again.
I saw this monstrous roth in bloom at a nursery, but it was only that one flower on the spike while other flowers were normal.

Did you feed it superthrive or something while the spike was developing??
I overfed my whole collection for a while when I thought it was lack of fertilizer rather than lack of light that was a problem. I suspect this may have contributed to this blooming.

Hands down winner in the Paph forums ugly Paph category.

I wonder if that pollen would work with my Annabellchen...?
I have no idea if the pollen from an aberrant bloom is normal or not...

Multis generally resent being divided, especially with a single growth. This can affect the blooming. The plant will bloom better when it is more established.

I just had a Berenice bloom much like this - petals fused to the dorsal, lack of development, etc. One had a split synsepal (chimeric?)....Seeing as I bought the plant as it was spiking, I believe it might have been overfed or hormones may have been used to encourage robust growth. We'll see with the next blooming if things even out.

Sorry it happened to a sandy....that's a long-term project already! Looks like the clone has great color and a nice pouch. Hope it blooms for you again soon!

David

I say let its freak flag fly high! And with pride. The world would be a boring place if it were predictable. Plus, I bet it'll swing on back to 'normal' with its next blooming (due to all the peer pressure) ;).

Latest posts

Back