Horrific blooming of a Paph. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a division of Paph. sanderianum 'Jungle Magic' 2 years ago and have eagerly awaited its blooming. I was very much excited when it started spiking a few months ago. Then disaster.

The sepals on the first bloom never split so the flower couldn't open. I also don't think it has petals inside. The second bloom never developed. The petals on the third bloom are attached to the dorsal sepal.

This is an old collected clone that has bloomed normally many times, so either this was just an aberrant blooming or their were cultural problems that caused it. I suspect cultural as I recently discovered my entire collection was getting about the half the light it should (indoors).

Oh well, only 4 or 5 more years until it reblooms.

Bud 1:

Bud 3:

Plant:

Pollen available!

--Stephen

Sorry to hear about this "horrific blooming". But I think it has its charm. It looks like it just came from the hair salon with a really fancy hairdo. :wink:

Looks like a rungsiryanum x sandy hahaha, sorry about your blooming best hope for next time

Wrong hairdo! lol

Unique, though!

Bloom it, again.
I saw this monstrous roth in bloom at a nursery, but it was only that one flower on the spike while other flowers were normal.

Did you feed it superthrive or something while the spike was developing??

Bring on the music for Twilight Zone.......

Next time it will bloom perfectly. Just one of those weird things that happens time to time.

Could be result of spraying or seaweed. Had similar problems with one of the newer paph species.

Latest posts

Back