Hookerae ‘Icarus Wings’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like hookerae season is upon us. Everyone seems to have one in spike or in buds. Exciting!

My hookerae was in bud for a long time since February ... 6 weeks? The bud kept growing higher and higher towards the light bulb until it almost touched it. I had to move it away in case it got burnt.

It finally opened couple days ago and it stretched his wings (petals) quite widely. They were so long and wide I aptly named him ‘Icarus Wings’ after the boy flew too close to the sun.

NS 11 cm, warm nights all year (19-21C) and medium low light (one LED bulb), heavy RO water all year, maybe slightly less (if anything, one day later) in winter. Feed every 2-3 watering with MSU/kelp alternate foliar spray, MgCal few times a year. Bark/perlite/charcoal mix.

09BA035B-7572-497E-BBDE-9540E8563B6C.jpeg E6E62CD4-E8E9-47FF-8640-3D01796C8A22.jpeg D6B194B6-77DF-4969-9D85-5450255C1C03.jpeg 58B6A3EE-9279-469A-9E11-E820247EB9A5.jpeg 72CBC149-36E2-4172-A13D-7EEF2B1DD85A.jpeg

Damn! That's GREEN!

Does the plant itself have a maroon pattern to the underside of the leaves? 2 of mine do the 3rd does not.

Thanks all for the encouragement for this nice flower. It’s always a great surprise when a good coloured flower with a good shape serendipitously appear after flowering a few bad ones in the past.

That infloresence... It's amazing... And then they say size doesn't matter :D
It's 50 cm high that infloresence. Crazy!

As for whether it is a volonteanum or hookerae, the verdict is out there. What is everyone's thoughts?

Note the staminode is notched on top and bottom (as would a hookerae) but the blushed maroon underside of leaves and deep flower colors are also present (as a volonteanum would).

Yes, it will be interesting to see what mine reveals. Mine are only about 30cm so I have some waiting. The all green plant is really behind at 1cm!

wonder if the two parents were both (true) hookerae? ;-)

either way would love having that on my bench to look at... wonderful... i have one just starting to show color from Sam... hoping it's a keeper

I have a volonteanum with a bud that I’m starting to worry about. I thought it would be open weeks ago. Still looks fat and green but no changes in awhile. Did you do anything condition wise to get it to open? I could really use a flower right now.

Latest posts

Back