Hoo-Boy. USPS (Again)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I've been one to point out that part of the USPS' financial issues is due to Congress' requirement that they fully fund their pension plan. While that may be true, here's an example of another issue:

I received a KelpMax order through Amazon.com, shipping to California.

If I pack the quart bottle in a 4" x 4" x 9" box I pay for, it weighs 2 lbs 8 oz, and costs around $15 to ship.

If, on the other hand, I use a USPS Medium Flat-Rate Box they provided, and use any packing material I want (in this case, shredded cardboard boxes sent to me in an order from Hydrofarm), the box is 12" x 9" x 6", and weighs 5 pounds, yet I pay less that $12...

Greater weight plus greater volume (both part of the true shipping cost to them) equals a lower cost for me to ship. I love it!

There is a significant cost savings to USPS for packages of predictable dimensions and predictable maximum weight. Everything from cargo container dimensions to airplane fuel calculations to automated sorting systems, etc. depend on predictable packages. Oddball stuff costs more to sort, handle and ship, on average. It may not actually work out that way for every individual package, but the price difference encourages shippers to fit into the standard packaging.

And you would be surprised at how many people put something light weight in a flat rate box and pay more for shipping....just to avoid the hassle of calculating the postage. Drop off a flat rate and you don't have to stand in line.

PMM, I was the global logistics manager for a $500-million chemical company before I retired, and I'm well aware of the boon of standardization, but I really don't think that applies so well in this situation, as - based upon a discussion with my local postmaster - the percentage of flat rate boxes used is less than 10%, not to mention that there are several "standard" sizes, and they cannot predict how many of which ones will be used.

Back