Home-made Phrag medium and Cdn Sources for Commercial Blends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawarthapine

Kawarthapine
Reaction score
For years I have been growing my paphs and phrags in a combination of med coconut, large perlite, spag moss and hardwood charcoal (rough ratio of: 50:20:20:10). I sometimes add 10% clay hydro balls to my phrag mixes and reduce my coconut accordingly.

I grow most of my dends, cats in a phal bark blend with extra 10% spag moss.

For paphs I water roughly once per week and the same for phrags (which also sit in saucers that hold some water). My indoor plants around windowsills are misted twice daily while my plant room humidity is roughly 30-40% and gets the odd misting when I'm bored.

My paphs are repotted every two years and my phrags about every 18 months.

I am wondering whether there is a better medium for my phrags that will last up to two years and/or enhance plant vigor.

What commercial mixes do folks like and can you suggest Canadian sources for blends and components.

Many thanks!

I agree, what you are doing sounds good to me too. Its a bid different from what I use, but similar enough (and I truly believe media is a personal thing).
I get my moss and coco from Lee Valley. It is a reliable source. Other sources I have used are Ravenvision, rePotme, and ontario grower supply. I wish we could get orchiata as I would love to try it!

I to get my moss and compressed coconut bricks from Lee Valley.

The only downside is there is a large amount of fine husk and hair that I prefer to remove.

I rinse the coconut three or four times with a good soaking of a few hours each time. I add some diluted Physan 20 to my moss and coconut during my final soak before pressing out water and letting the mix dry out before use.

BTW, I wish I could find a source to buy a larger volume of seedling mix (bark, perlite, charcoal)... I always end up frustrated having to spend 8-10 bucks for a large zip lock bag that barely fills four 5in pots or one deflasking.

Oh well, we all need a good rant once in a while.

Thanks. I would normally graciously accept such an offer but the shipping/postage would be beyond reason. You could always donate it to a local club table.

I hear so many great things about the Orchiata and yet I don't know of any place to get it in Canada.

Seems we're still living in the dark ages north of the border.

The only consolation is that there is great satisfaction in growing and blooming plants in spite of water and supply issues.

If any of you are close enough to the border to use one of those shipping services, you could have a bag of Orchiata shipped there and go pick it up yourself.

What's sort of ironic is that the U.S. East coast distributor is Canadian.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

Unfortunately I am situated a few hours north east of Toronto and more than three from Kingston.

I rarely travel far from home these days due to a chronic back injury. For the 1st time in five years I missed the annual SOOS show (in spite of my need for plants & supplies).

Who knows, the more obsessed I become growing phrags the more I may revisit my travel limitations and your offer.

Cheers!

If any of you are close enough to the border to use one of those shipping services, you could have a bag of Orchiata shipped there and go pick it up yourself.

What's sort of ironic is that the U.S. East coast distributor is Canadian.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

Ray is there actually an exemption that allows a person to hand carry in bark products without a permit or phyto? I think the idea is to prohibit all bark entry unless it has been treated (sterilized) to meet specific requirements. Orchiata probably does not meet the standard requirements.

You cannot legally bring Orchiata into Canada, by any method. If your vehicle is searched and tree bark is found, it will be confiscated and you will be fined and placed on the naughty list.

Of course, people do it, but they're taking a risk.

That's right. I wasn't trying to imply I had and "in", just that it's a tried and true methodology. I suppose a 40L bag is a bit more obvious than a jar of K-Lite or bottle of KelpMax.

Last time I had a speaking engagement in Canada (Windsor), my van, with obvious "orchid" signage, loaded with a wide variety of "contraband", was passed through customs into Canada with no hesitation. Coming back into the U.S. Was another matter altogether.

They asked if I had a permit to sell in Canada (no), wanted to see my bill of lading (no), wanted to see if my products were properly labeled (yes!), and checked the radioactivity level of the fertilizers (who knew potassium compounds were radioactive?).

Then they let me go home....

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

Don't mix up rules covering bark and fertilizer. The bark is considered a plant and has the same rules covering plant pests. Non plant product supplies and fertilizers are probably allowed as long as they are not toxic. Not declaring and paying import duties is a separate issue!

A high proportion of Potassium is its radioactive isotope, K-40. There are now radiation meters sensitive enough to buzz near a bunch of bananas.

No wonder you don't want to come back, Ray :)

I have contacted the sellers of Orchiata and they are working towards getting their product into Canada, but there is lots of red tape and it may not happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Back