Hobbies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then what do you do with the pressed flowers? Do you frame them or something? :poke:Got any pix to show us? :D This sounds interesting.

And then what do you do with the pressed flowers? Do you frame them or something? :poke:Got any pix to show us? :D This sounds interesting.

I don't have any pics :eek: I usually make greeting cards with them for friends and family. Now that you have asked, however, I will begin to take pics :)

Lanmark, thanks for the instructions. Sometimes I like a bloom so well that I wish it would last. I'll have to give this a try.

Lanmark, thanks for the instructions. Sometimes I like a bloom so well that I wish it would last. I'll have to give this a try.

I've found that pressing them in the microwave preserves the color best for a lot of orchids (especially vandas and paphs), except Phaius, they turn black. I frame them and austion them off at our orchid society meetings and they generally bring in a nice return for the society (and a tax writeoff for me).

Forrest

Let's see, orchids, orchids, and more orchids.
Also have a ragdoll cat named Oreo that is very spoiled.
Like to go camping in our small RV in the summer(Oreo goes with us).
Love music, almost any kind. Play the piano.
Enjoy photography. I enjoy all of the great photos that are posted here.
Sewing, with some quilting.
Bird watching mostly in the back yard.
Gardening.
Love to read, and since retiring, I decided that I would read more of the classic authors. Right now Steinbeck and Joesph Conrad are my favorites. Currently reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez 100 Years of Solitude. It is considered Magic realism. I love it.
Love being around my family and my grandchildren.
I manage the Treasure Valley Orchid Society, website, and I have a lot to learn there.
I'm getting tired, that is enough

I've found that pressing them in the microwave preserves the color best for a lot of orchids (especially vandas and paphs), except Phaius, they turn black. I frame them and austion them off at our orchid society meetings and they generally bring in a nice return for the society (and a tax writeoff for me).

Forrest

In the microwave? :drool:

That sounds very intriguing! So you nuke 'em and press 'em at the same time?

microwave pressing flowers

In the microwave? :drool:

That sounds very intriguing! So you nuke 'em and press 'em at the same time?

yep, the color difference is amazing. I use fresh printer paper and a tile, position the flower as best as possible, rest the tile on top, and nuke it for about 30 seconds, check the flower to make sure it looks nice, reposition with a poker or knife tip, the begin alternating 30 secong hits alternating with the tile on and off. Once it's mostly dry (column may be a bit damp still) put it in a book to finish it. Only be careful if the flower dessicates too much it can burn and eventually catch fire. Give it a try, it can work really well. Of course I can't press sanderianums and caudatums cause I'd need a really big microwave, been thinking of using an iron on the long petaled ones though.

Sounds awesome fbrem! I've used an iron in the past to start or finish the pressing process on particularly difficult flowers. I'm anxious to do some more flowers now and try out your method too!

Forrest

I once tried to nuke a flower and it started to burn. I'd love to try again though.

Time to updated my profile,,, other interest include gardening, trying to grow tomatoes in northern Michigan. In winter we cross country ski and watch DVD's along with hockey and basketball- go green, go white. I make altered art jewelry. If you ever have unwanted broken jewelry let me know!! We collect Department 56 village , Halloween is the best. along with the older North Pole buildings and elves. Love to cook, mostly vegetarian- except for tofu--.eeeh. Eclectic taste in music ranges from classical to Jazz of Miles Davis and Stan Getz, to Yanni, the last of which is limited to greenhouse. All time favorite is Bruce Springsteen . Love this forum . It is lively, with good peoplel I learn more about orchids every time I read something. The expense of heating our greenhouse has changed what I grow. No more phrags , catts sulk through the winter. Upside cymbidiums and many pluera trive. Restrepia have been my thing for years. Sadly I am no longer a vendor, but will always be an orchid addict!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pressing Flowers....

I've been pressing phrag blossoms ever since January. They're in between pages of some heavy books. I also bought a flower press at our local Garden Society show earlier this month.

My question is, once the flowers are pressed and dried, do you spray/coat them with anything to preserve them before framing?

thanks.

Orchids are my hobby. The rest of the time I read about science and I write. I'm working on a science-fiction novel in English. Been at that for 20 years off and on. The story is complete and has been evaluated by an expert edition house in the US. Now I'm applying their recommendations. The story is situated 60,000 years in the future and of course, I had to solve everything and create a litterature for the future, since the main character is an avid reader. I'm almost finished and I will start looking for an editor soon. Any help finding one would be appreciated. :p

I've been pressing phrag blossoms ever since January. They're in between pages of some heavy books. I also bought a flower press at our local Garden Society show earlier this month.

My question is, once the flowers are pressed and dried, do you spray/coat them with anything to preserve them before framing?

thanks.

Some people spray them lightly on both sides with hairspray, but I haven't tried this. I have ironed dried flowers between two sheets of wax paper thinking the thin film of "wax" or parafin would coat and help preserve the flowers. The heat, however, could fade or alter the colors of some dried flowers.

What Lanmark says with hairspray is what I usually do with dried plant parts and it works, giving them a vivid colouration! I would also put the plant parts in -18oC if possible to kiill all the microorganisms and co (in appropriate cases so that they do not curve etc...). Good luck...!

Shiva... good luck with your novel!!! Sorry I cannot help! Could it be a movie too???

What Lanmark says with hairspray is what I usually do with dried plant parts and it works, giving them a vivid colouration! I would also put the plant parts in -18oC if possible to kiill all the microorganisms and co (in appropriate cases so that they do not curve etc...). Good luck...!

Shiva... good luck with your novel!!! Sorry I cannot help! Could it be a movie too???

A novel, a movie, a video game... One thing at a time.

Back