Hobbies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which is not to say we cannot continue this thread on our own, just that said spammer will no longer be a part of it.

Okay.

In no particular order...

*spending time with my wife and boy (3 yo)
*brewing beer (gratuitous plug for Alternative Beverage at ebrew.com )
*drinking beer made above
*freshwater tropical fish- Characidae (tetras) and Siluriformes (catfishes) mostly
*SCUBA diving, but it's been a while
*have 2 cats
*volleyball
*roller & street hockey
*sketching (mostly fish)
*most things orchid- growing (& sometimes killing), photographing, selling, buying, judging, lecturing...
*Ren faires
*sled riding

-Ernie

which is not to say we cannot continue this thread on our own, just that said spammer will no longer be a part of it.

I agree. I find this thread interesting even though it may have been started by a spammer.

My other hobbies include quilting and collecting vintage/antique sewing machines. I also enjoy cooking.

Susan

To be clear, we don't make a habit of banning people. We simply delete anyone who's a spammer. It's common practice for spammers to sneak into forums with a legit user name and post some random nonsense(usually). Then, once they see their posts have appeared they hit the forum with their spam or send PM's to members.

No I totally understand that. I just hadn't seen the other stuff this guy posted, that's why I was confused. It's all good!

Paintball, N-scale model trains, leopard geckos, NYC architecture, videos, music [hip-hop or techno], Off-off Broadway plays and shows, trying adventurous things.

I like orchids, of course; growing them, smelling the fragrant ones, going to shows, buying more, LOL. :p

I also have a cat who demands more than 100% of my attention. I crochet sometimes. I play around with photography. I garden. I love the internet, good television and movies. I am way into music. Good food is a must. Hiking is great. I used to fish and hunt with my dad, but honestly I rather hated it. Now he's too old and unwell to hunt and fish, and I wish I'd spent more time doing those things with him when it was possible. I spend time with my family and friends. I collect carved jade pieces, gemstones, custom pieces of fine jewelry, and old solid gold auto-wind watches from South America. Lately I've been sidelined from doing many of my favorite hobby-type things due to personal health issues and caring for my elderly parents. Life's not always easy or fair, but keeping a good positive attitude in spite of it all is really important. I want to enjoy life no matter what. I think that about covers it. :)

I read vociferously. Right now I'm reading comparative religion and early christian movement. Just blew through 4 books on Nazi Germany. I'm a geek about history. I crochet some and currently am making a set of amigurumi for my son. I love to walk and hike the trails of the local parks. I used to bike, but my kids aren't into it yet. In the winter the orchids take up a big part of my time. I read about them and surf the web for info about them.

Ah, let's see. Hobbies other than orchids . . . . . :rolleyes:

I still do a lot of reading but not as much as I used to do. Generally, I read fiction novels. By the way, the latest Dan Brown novel is a real turkey. I have dozens of books on orchids that I've managed to collect over the years. I tend to read and re-read them over and over. I also have two kitties, a female domestic longhair tortie "foundling" named Shadow and a Sable Burmese male named Gryffindor. They are like my children to me, since I don't have children of my own. I used to be into gardening but not so much in recent years as my hands tend to hurt a lot with repetitive motion (I have Dupuytren's Contracture also known as Viking's Disease). I'm also an avid soap opera watcher as long as we're talking All My Children. Been watching for thirty years now. I belong to a couple of online forums where I discuss it with friends. Recently, I've been trying to learn my way around Facebook and learning how to play FarmVille and YoVille. It's a great way to keep tabs on my nieces and nephews!

All-in-all, growing orchids is my main hobby. It's what I'm passionate about. Oh, my kitties, too.

Drinking good beer, cooking, making people laugh, hiking when it isn't too cold out, photography, and inducing OBEs (out of body experiences).

Spam is delicious after hiking 15+ miles of mountains, especially cooked over a fire. If followed up with a shot of brandy just before hitting the sleeping bag, well, then you've got a nice little slice of heaven...

cool to see that this thread was kept... even though started as spam :D

let's see...

growing orchids, photographing orchids, attending orchids shows, visiting orchids nurseries, buying orchids, reading about orchids.. did I mention orchids?

Just kidding ;)

Of course Orchids are a big part of it, but I also go for cooking (especially when friend are there), Photography, Birdwatching (quite neglected since I moved to Europe, and limited to my holidays), and of course, travelling...

raising amphibians and herping all over our natural world, cooking, blasting zombies, preserving and framing nice orchid blooms, vegetable gardening and preverving, carnivorous plants, my many pets, good beer and wine, and mixing cocktails, and oh yeah, 'cause it's winter I almost forgot one of my favorites, hunting wild mushrooms (or any other wild food, but primarily mushrooms), and to finish it off I really want to find a deep freeze and get into deer hunting for the meat but don't have anyone to teach me here. oh well, I'm busy enough.

Forrest

fbrem reminded me of two other things I like to do: :clap:

Pressing flowers, especially the really cool-looking ones including orchids.

Hunting for Morel Mushrooms in the Springtime.

and to finish it off I really want to find a deep freeze and get into deer hunting for the meat but don't have anyone to teach me here. oh well, I'm busy enough.

Forrest

I could give you basics via email, though gun training and all that you'd be on your own. don't think deer are that much different in tennessee than in ny (and you have lots of hills like here I think)

I think I posted a bunch in the 'who are you' thread; too many to list here! (most involve outdoor activities, food; growing, cooking preparation and eating thereof; things involving cameras, plants and flowers mostly orchids and a whole bunch of others)

oh, and things involved with wasting lots of time on the computer/internet though not facebook or such

Non orchid related hobbies for me.

1) Heavy metal guitar
2) Rocketry (but no recent shoots)
3) Lots of reading
4) Hiking

Most everything else I can lump under general socializing, like Cornhole.

For the last 6yrs. or so, gardening for most of time.
Enjoy the camera. Travel. Charter boats(my wife loves to fish:D).
Bird watching also. But we live near estuary/marsh, and the variety of birds on daily basis...
Seen kingfisher for first time this year. No chance for photo.

fbrem reminded me of two other things I like to do: :clap:

Pressing flowers, especially the really cool-looking ones including orchids.

Hunting for Morel Mushrooms in the Springtime.

Lanmark, How do you press orchids? I always thought they were to full of water.

Lanmark, How do you press orchids? I always thought they were to full of water.
I don't do anything special. Basically I always have on hand a few massive books. These aren't treasured books I read or anything like that. I make it a point to seek out massive boring used books at second hand bookstores and so forth. As long as they are really big and not mildewy they work great! It's taken a lot of practice, but by carefully placing a blossom about 3/4 of the way toward the back of the book and carefully closing it, most of the time I can flatten the flower and preserve its form. Sometimes they don't come out so good, but usually I succeed quite nicely. Really big old books absorb a lot of moisture. Usually I'll place the book on a hard surface and place a brick or even a cement block on top of the book. I let the books absorb the moisture.
A few weeks later I remove the flower and let the pages of the book lie open for a few days to be sure they have dried before using it for another flower. I haven't had a single flower mold yet. I don't care if it messes up the pages of the book because eventually when it's all used up, I can pitch the book and start with a new one. :)

Back