History - Arthur Freed Orchid Company

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have both books? they are both fun reads...pretty light and rather funny. - bookfinder.com...

If you are interested in writing historical articles on orchids, please do remember that there has been more then english explorers or orchid houses. in the world.
Many other nationalities are usually forgotten, the French in particular.

For instance, in writing his book, Lycaste Orchids, A. E. W. Alcorn a great Lycaste grower and expert wondered where the name Lycaste came from, since Lindley never explained his choice. Certainly not one of the beautiful daughters of King Priam of Troy he assured. Though he fathered hundreds, if not thousands of children, King Priam had no daughter called Lycaste. (Considering the time since, we're probably all related in some ways to King Priam in the Western world). So he went on to look for other origins and enumerated some latin and greek writers. But he never considered the possibility that the name could come from a French novel very popular at the time: "Artamène ou le Grand Cyrus"which extended more than 13,000 pages. For a couple hundred years or so, every noble in Europe, whether German, Russian, Austrian and others spoke French and had probably read that novel. Today we consider English as the ''Lingua Franca'' of the world. But back then, the Lingua Franca was French. It's possible that at the time, everybody who spoke and who could read French knew that Lycaste was a beautiful woman though already passed her prime, to loosely quote her description. Lindley would not have needed to explain his choice at the time.

Another tidbit of interest is about Bougainville's voyage around the world (1766). Commerson was the naturalist on the ship and he had a secretary called Jean Barré. I read long ago in a rare book (since stolen from me) that Jean Barré was in fact Jeanne Barré, which would have most likely made her the first ever woman to circle the world.

Don't you love History? :rollhappy:

Interesting. Do you have any of the Dunsterville's books.

Checked my library and found none. My orchid society must have some or many of them in its extensive library. I'll check it out in the fall. Maybe the book that was stolen from me was one of his as I remember it was about south and central american orchids. ;)

Bump.

There was a retrospective of Arthur Freed's life and musicals on TCM - Turner Classic Movies last night, yet another eye opener. For example, I had no idea who Vincent Minnelli was other than Judy Garland's husband and Liza's father. And it even showed a picture of Arthur with a Phal (white with red lip). If they repeat it y'all should try to catch it.

Aurthor Freed ... the book is Orchids and Serendipity

You can find this on Ebay ... excellent reading for orchid people.

Back