HINI Swine Flu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticshaun

Reaction score
I just got vaccinated against H1N1 the other night (my shoulder is still sore). The entire procedure took less than 30 minutes. I'm not a big fan of 'flu shots' but with all the fear-mongering in the media and the number of cases we've had locally my family decided to try an ounce of prevention against this pandemic. We are lucky in that the NWT (Northwest Territories) has a good supply of the vacine and I think 30% of the population got shots in the first 5 days of vaccinations. It remains to be seen whether this is going to be as bad as the hype or if this shot was any help or not.
Anybody else thinking of getting an extra needle this year?

Shaun

I'm more afraid of what's in these vacinations than catching the actual flu. I've never had a flu shot. Though if I worked around kids or in the health care field, I would probably give it more thought.

The real flu shot doesn't arrive here until later in Nov (another needle). With only a chance that it'll prevent or mitigate the symptoms of whatever strains of flu's actually arrive. I'm not a total conspiracy theorist but I worry because many horrible things have been done to people in the guise of helping them (too many X-Files episodes back in the 90's as well).
Our choice to proceed with the H1N1 was based on a) fear, b) 3 children in 3 different schools and c) both wife and myself work with large groups of people. I was going to skip it until the last round of deaths among relatively healthy people (according to the news). Here in Canada the fear of the pandemic and resulting panic lines for vaccinations are probably going to cause as much damage as this particular flu strain.

Shaun

I have to take it soon since I will be working in the medical field. This make me cringe since I never got a flu shot.:(

Ramon:)

I get a flu vaccination every year and have done so for over a decade. I haven't gotten the flu once during that time, whereas before I started getting vaccinated, I managed to catch the flu almost every year.

I'll get vaccinated for H1N1 just as soon as I can. The vaccination isn't available here yet. I'll get vaccinated for the seasonal flu when that vaccination becomes available as well.

The shots contain no live viruses, and where I live they contain no adjuvant either. I'm not sensitive to thimersol, so I see no reason not to continue being vaccinated.

Generally I will feel a little tired and my arm will ache for a day or two after getting vaccinated. I've never gotten sick after getting a flu vaccination, and the mild symptoms I do experience go away rather quickly.

I'm not panicked about H1N1. I am doing my best to avoid getting sick, and I'll get the vaccination when I can. That's all I can do, so why worry?

As of last night my cousin's 2 year old daughter and 7 year old son were both admitted to hospital with 105°F fevers. Both are being given Tamiflu to combat the H1N1 virus and the girl is also getting antibiotics for pneumonia. They had the chance to get vaccinated for H1N1 almost three weeks ago but my cousin (a school teacher) wouldn't allow it. His brother is an MD who vaccinated both of his own children a couple of weeks ago, and they haven't gotten sick.

Vaccination is a personal choice. I think there is a lot of negative hype out there which is based on fear, ignorance and unfounded prejudice. I do believe the use of adjuvant (such as squalene) to boost the strength or stretch supplies of vaccines is a potentially dangerous practice. It's best to be well-informed before making your decision. That doesn't mean listening to talk radio show hosts or blindly accepting what your government or anyone else says. It means taking the time to look at legitimate websites showing legitimate research results, seeking out accurate information, learning the facts and discussing things with a doctor you trust.

H1N1 is making the rounds here in Japan too. Lots of school closings or partial closings (individual classes). I had a Halloween party at my house for my students Saturday and only 8 out of 13 showed...all 5 were sick with it. The youngest kids seem to be the most susceptible so far. Shots are not available for most people - only kids, older folks (70s+), people with compromised immune systems, and pregnant women.

I have to side with Lanmark. I've been working with/ growing viruses for the past 29 years. I have never seen anything like this past year. When H1N1 came on the scene in May/April of this yr and the first baby died in your hospital we have been swamped with specimens with a high percent positive for the Swine. I never got a flu shot either for most of those years. I always felt my immune system was at it's peak, I had to be getting low level of exposure to all kinds of bugs. Well, this one is different. It's killing young kids at an alarming rate. We have two now in the PICU, one will probably make it but will have serious damage to their lungs. The other will not, their lungs are being liquidified by the virus and it is Tamaflu resistant. Not good news. This virus is constantly changing it's surface antigens that's why you need a flu shot each year. Why give this virus,H1N1 a chance to change more? The more people vaccinated the fewer host available for this virus to grow and change in. We don't need antiviral drug resistant Influenza bugs floating about killing more. Think about this, you catch the flu (H1N1) you're out for week coughing, sneezing and you get over it. While you were coughing and sneezing where did all those bugs go? Those bugs could end up in your neighbor's kids, a kid down the street, across town? I just saying the more people vaccinated the fewer chances of little kids catching it and dying because of it.

I'm with Rick and Mark. When both flu shots become available to me, I'll offer my arms.

Years ago, I think flu shot were made differently than they are today. For years I didn't get the shots because they made me sick. But about 3 years ago, my doctor talked me into getting one, and with great trepidation, I got one. I've gotten one every year since, and haven't gotten sick from the shots, or the flu. Stomach flu is another story...

Rick, I'm curious if there might be another way to create the vaccines without using eggs? I'm allergic to eggs, as is my sister. She had been getting the flu shot for a few years until she developed an auto-immune response (perhaps connected to the egg protein?) after getting a shot a couple years ago, and decided she was through with it.

Rick, I'm curious if there might be another way to create the vaccines without using eggs? I'm allergic to eggs, as is my sister. She had been getting the flu shot for a few years until she developed an auto-immune response (perhaps connected to the egg protein?) after getting a shot a couple years ago, and decided she was through with it.
What about the new form on the market. FluMist? The new form is snored up your nose. I'm not sure how it's made but the sales rep for FluMist buys us lunch on the first Wed of every month and I'll ask!

Oh that might work, it would be very helpful since I have asthma which can get pretty bad when I get sick. I'm not sure if that's available here in Canada though, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I got the seasonal flu shot in early October, got the H1N1 shot about 10 days ago. For years I avoided flu shots, as the one I got in the 70's made me sick. I don't get the flu anyway...but I started getting the shots about 10 years ago after being assured that they had been perfected in terms of side effects. I've gotten them every year since...when available. No effects other than a sore shoulder. The H1N1 didn't even give me that...felt fine afterwards..though my wife felt sick for a day and my son felt sick for 2 days...my oldest works in a hospital,and he can't even get the shot! I had the choice between the shot and the nasal spray ("flu snot") but I opted for the shot. I figure since I work with teenagers, and interact with over 100 people each day, it made sense to get the shot...Take care, Eric

What about the new form on the market. FluMist? The new form is snored up your nose. I'm not sure how it's made but the sales rep for FluMist buys us lunch on the first Wed of every month and I'll ask!

Flumist is safe for those who are egg allergic, but not a good choice for those with asthma. THis puts my son out of the running for both.

I personally get the flu shot every year. If I don't the flu turns into bronchitis for me and I end up on antibiotics. Then a round of Advair. Its just easier and cost effective for me to get the shot.

I know the FluMist contains live (but weakened) virus. It is safe for a specific group of recipients but not safe for certain other individuals. Those who cannot have the mist should get the injection since there are no living viruses in the injectable form. I have no idea about the egg content of FluMist, but when I Googled it just now, there was an egg allergy warning associated with it.

Last edited:
Nope, I never ever get flu shots. I know they say you can't get the flu after you have the shot but I get sick from colds and hay fever and whatever. One year I was sick for 3 weeks with a type of flu after having the shot.

Never again.......well not until I'm old and frail and don't want to die.......

Latest posts

Back