hillarious

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
If I could post a picture this would kill you. Of course, just as I ran almost completely out of coconut chips, diatomite and primeagra, the Phrag. Hanne Popow that I won on eBay from John Chant arrived. And whoa, what a Hanne Popow it is. The root ball is 7" around and the plant is over 26" from roots to bud. So, and I know I'm going to win the Rube Goldberg award for this one, I put the roots in the biggest pot I had. Luckily I once bought some clear 8" pots that I thought I'd never use for phrags. I used the last [1/4" along the bottom] PrimeAgra I had, and filled the rest w/ Reptibark!!! This is only temporary so don't bust a gasket. Then for the top, the super-stolonous growth has roots and the flowering growth about 6" above the old growth. I took one of the tall clear plastic bird feeders I use for stolonous plants, removed the bottom, balanced it on top of the reptibark, assembled it around the growth and filled it to the roots w/ a mix of sphagnum, charcoal, diatomous dust, and the last of the coco-chips. If I had a picture I swear you'd die laughing. I looks like a clear version of those pots they use to warm up orchards in the cool weather. :rollhappy:

As far as I know that reptibark stuff is the same bark chip that almost any "orchid mix" has in it. Did it come bare root? Why the hastey repot?

John has amazing plants for the price. All the ones I've gotten from him also were quite large.

I've used Reptibark for phrags and phals...its the same stuff sold for plants, just more expensive...but when you need it in a hurry, the corner Petland is a lot faster than mail order or travelling to a godforsaken Home Depot for the lowest quality bags...and I for one always prefer to receive plants bare-root...the seller has no excuse for selling a problem plant. Take care, Eric

Containers

Yeah Eric you have a good point plus you can get rid of dead roots, etc. but...I would love if all new plants were shipped in clear aircones w the perfect mix of Primeagra, coconut chips charcoal and bark, after a nice soaking in R.O water w/ superthrive, Protekt, and MSU fertilizer! :smitten:

Finally, a pic

ridiculous contraption required by root mass:rollhappy:
P2210070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NYEric said:
ridiculous contraption required by root mass:rollhappy:
I thought awhile ago, I seen Jason posting picture of very tall pots for phrags.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a 12" dia pot on the bottom [for the roots] w/ a 12" bird feeder on top for the growth. the flower stem was sticking another 12"+ above the top of the bird feeder. I don't think Jason's pot is tall enough.

Eric

I have a Jason Fischer climbing out of the pot. Must I so something like that, or can I just repot it deeper and lose a small part which is not out of the pot? I'm not sure when that will be. It just blooms,and blooms, and blooms and still has a couple of buds to go. The pot is full of roots so it definately needs repotting soon. All my phrags are in S/H and they must like it because they fill up the pot with strong roots very quickly. (I do separate the drier growing ones so they don't get watered as often.)

I love phrags but I have one problem with them....last month they were just little buggers and the next time I look they are outgrowing their space. At one time I wished for a specimen plant. Now I have so many with no space for them. Don't tell me to divide them. I don't have the heart to do that when they look so beautiful as they are.

Decisions, decisions, life is always so full of decisions...especially when one lives in a small condo with no way to expand. :confused: I have threatened to sell my bed and put a orchid bench there but unfortunately I am a sleepyhead.

You can be like Heather and just get rid of plants every 2 months, [trade them for smaller stuff], or sell them. I had to treat this one weird because the stolons and new growth were so far above the large root ball. The lower growth only had one leaf so I couldn't even divide it.

Grandma M said:
Decisions, decisions, life is always so full of decisions...especially when one lives in a small condo with no way to expand. :confused: I have threatened to sell my bed and put a orchid bench there but unfortunately I am a sleepyhead.

Bunk beds. You on top, new growing space below. ;)

Back