Hideous flower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

It's a bad photograph, but a worse flower. Conco-bellatulum x vietnamense. I knew it was risky, but I gambled. The floppiness is to be expected, the staminode will probably be better next time, but the bad colorbreaks will be permanent, I'm sure. It is huge....as big in diameter as the plant.

Not so easy to see any detail, at least the brick wall is in focus. Good colour and textures, the leafless creeper provides an interesting visual foil to the horizontal mortar joints.:)

Yes there is a lot of vietnamense in there; I find the coloring/spotting of esp. the petals is very interesting! Next blooming might be better!!! Jean

Great color, nice contrasting staminode, and I like the leaves. I'd give $5.50. With both vietnamense and bellatulum working against it I think it came out pretty good.

Sorry about the wall, it was the only spot out of the wind. All told, it's better than the bellatulum x vietnamense I bloomed...my all time ugliest paph. The flower was maybe 1.5" across, with a square (really cubic) pouch. The flower died 2 days after opening. The plant died shortly afterward. It was not mourned.

This cross is known as Wossner Vietnam Bell. There is a wonderful example of this cross in the latest Paphiopedulum in Taiwan V book (p175). Beautiful color and shape. So this cross can be good. The colour on yours is nice. I'd give it another go.

David, have you been up all night reading your new book?

Half the night while I was watching the Australians pummel the South Africans. :)

As I'm flicking through the book I couldn't help but notice that bright red flower and quickly picked up that it was the same as Eric's.

Latest posts

Back