Hi, I'm new.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pealow

Reaction score
My name is Paula and I live in a NYC apartment. Only have windowsills to grow on, no greenhouse. I currently have a Ho Chi Minh about to bloom and would love advice on anything that could grow on windowsills.

Paula

Hi Paula,

Welcome to Slippertalk!, I am sure you will find a lot of info on this forum. Also I am sure NYEric, who also live in a New York Apartment and grows orchids in every square inch of his apartment can give you some good advice on how to grow orchids in your kind of environment.

Robert

howdy.
i grow many multifloral types and species on my windowsills in rhode island. there are many types out there that would do fine, you just need to make sure you don't get them too close to the window as they can get too cold or too much light and find ones that like the same temps as you (i let my place get down to the mid fifties at night in the winter so i grow stuff that likes it. does that make sense?).

I'm new too!

I lived in NYC from 1970 to 1990 and grew orchids in a window greenhouse. I grew a 2" pot of Paph Vanda M Pearman to blooming size and it turned out to be award quality! It was from Fox Catcher Orchids. I eventually lost the plant, but have just received 2 delanatii crosses (the Ho Chi Minh is in spike). I fear I have awakened a sleeping tiger! Eric

Welcome to both of you from NYC.
Pealow, why can you only grow on the windowsills?
There are some good ideas for growing areas if you 'search' the growing area "megathread".

WELCOME Paula & EricNC!!! Glad you two joined us!
What exposures are we talkin'? Just about any paph would do fine with east exposures. Most multis would do better with a south exposure. I think lack of humidity can be the hardest thing to deal with when growing on the windowsills.

I had a window greenhouse in NYC and my "addiction" flourished....here in NC I have recently got the bug again and have amassed a little collection off ebay...... I guess initially I'll set up some kind of lighting system...but I am reading a book on building your own greenhouse. Is there an auction/trade/give away feature to this forum? ericNC

I had a window greenhouse in NYC and my "addiction" flourished....here in NC I have recently got the bug again and have amassed a little collection off ebay...... I guess initially I'll set up some kind of lighting system...but I am reading a book on building your own greenhouse. Is there an auction/trade/give away feature to this forum? ericNC
We have an annual auction starting April 1st!
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11215

Latest posts

Back