Hi from Pennsylvania!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had orchids as houseplant 'pets' for about 25 years and had a few paphs in the mix. I learned a hard lesson when I moved into this house with a water treatment system that included a water softener. I lost 90% of my plants. Now I have some paphs and neo finetias and a few phals. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can!

I have had orchids as houseplant 'pets' for about 25 years and had a few paphs in the mix. I learned a hard lesson when I moved into this house with a water treatment system that included a water softener. I lost 90% of my plants. Now I have some paphs and neo finetias and a few phals. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can!
Very sorry to hear about your losses.

But welcome from the SouthEastern Pa Orchid Society (SEPOS). We have a few members from your area that join us on the second wed of the month in phoenixville. (www. sepos.org) Lots of opportunities to re-populate your collection from member divisions etc…. Bunches of great growers, great show table, and downright nice people . :).

We welcome you to the fold!

Welcome to ST. Nice to have you here!
Sorry about losing your orchids.
Did you get your water supply figured out?
I am using distilled water now. We did install a reverse osmosis tank, but after a filter failure that allowed salt to permeate, I will probably buy a distiller. I go through about 1.5 to 2 gallons per week in the winter

Very sorry to hear about your losses.

But welcome from the SouthEastern Pa Orchid Society (SEPOS). We have a few members from your area that join us on the second wed of the month in phoenixville. (www. sepos.org) Lots of opportunities to re-populate your collection from member divisions etc…. Bunches of great growers, great show table, and downright nice people . :).

We welcome you to the fold!
Thank you! I am interested!

Ray, I wonder if your gadget might help him with his water problems. I can't recall the name of the system right now.
If dekeesee only uses two gallons or so, the gadget might work wonderfully well.

You can probably just use water from BEFORE the softener, although I used RO when I lived in Doylestown.

An RO system is really all you need, and is far easier to deal with than a still. If you had breakthrough, you simply didn't maintain it properly - replace the sediment every 6 months, carbon filters every 12, and membrane every 24.

If you need replacement parts, I am a reseller of RO stuff, so reach out and we'll see how to get you operational again.. The device Angela was referring to is a Counter-Top RO system that you can use to fill jugs with pure water, then put it away until you need it again.

Latest posts

Back