Hi from near Sydney, Australia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babybloomer

Reaction score
Have been growing orchids of and on for the last 30 years and have now retired at the age of 59. Getting my 3.5m x 4m unheated glass-house sorted and my plants rejuvenated. Just installed heating to keep a winter minimum of 14deg.C. In the past have grown mainly Dendrobiums, and Pleurothallids but now taken an interest in Paphs.
Bought some flasks and have them all potted out in the last 2 months. It winter here so they are a bit slow ATM but so far so good.
Cheers
Rick
https://imageshack.com/i/pmgerxdbj
https://imageshack.com/i/pneZJ5KOj
https://imageshack.com/i/poOiWO5Dj

Last edited:
Thanx Troy
The only Paph I have ever owned up until a year ago was a kolopakingii that I got as a tiny seedling about 15 years ago. It has survived in an unheated glasshouse with winter temperatures down to 5 deg.C but grew slowly without some winter heat. Has only now reached flowering size.
My first Paph flower ever is just opening on a delenatii I picked up late last year. I'll post a photo when its fully open
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/924/2KpI3E.jpg

welcome from a northern neighbour.
You might need some insulation if the walls are 'alsynite', or heating could be expensive.

Part of the refurbishment is to replace the the 18 year old alsynite with 16mm triple-walled poly on the roof and 10mm double on the walls. I have the roof panels already in the garage. It doesnt really get that cold where I live, 100m from the beach. So far this winter we have had 3 or 4 nights below 10deg.

Welcome to Slippertalk. It looks like a nice setup you have.

Part of the refurbishment is to replace the the 18 year old alsynite with 16mm triple-walled poly on the roof and 10mm double on the walls. I have the roof panels already in the garage. It doesnt really get that cold where I live, 100m from the beach. So far this winter we have had 3 or 4 nights below 10deg.

We get colder nights here in Canberra in the middle of summer. Where abouts are you?

I didn't even know you could get 16mm triple-walled poly here . Where do you get it?

Good insulation pays for itself. I have insulated my glasshouse pretty well. A few nights ago the power went out in my glasshouse (just after midnight I think). In the morning the temperature was still 9oC despite being -4oC outside. So no damage done.

great idea!

Go the Blues....

WOW Stephen. I'm amazed you are prepared to publicly announce your disloyalty. :poke:

We get colder nights here in Canberra in the middle of summer. Where abouts are you?
This is what my next weeks forecast looks like in the middle of winter. I not actually in Cronulla but we are close enough the same climate, so keeping the inside minimum temp to about 14deg is not a big ask. A $20 fan heater with built in thermostat is all I'm using ATM. It does get a bit colder in August but I'm hoping to have at least the alsynite roof panels replaced by then.
http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/cronulla.shtml

"Emydura" I notice you are a devotee of roth hydrids, 2 of my first flasks were Angel Hair x Bel Royal, (37.5% roth. 25% kolop. 25% sander. and 12% philip. ) . This is a few of them 2 months out of flask

pnaFbZxjj

kOK6bq.jpg

and (Susan Booth x stonei) x roth. (67% roth 25% stonei and 12%praestans)

3kaKxc.jpg

DPWWY4.jpg

Those seedlings look great , especially for only two months. Yes, I do like roths and roths hybrids. Looks like I will flower a few this season too.

I'm a bit envious about those temperatures, especially the minimums. Here is what we have had recently. It has been a cold winter here. The weekend before last it got down to -9oC. I went down to the local creek and it was frozen. I haven't seen that in the 20 years I have been here. And the worse thing is something is tripping the electricity, but I'm not sure what. I think it is in the glasshouse but I'm not certain. For the 2nd time in a few days the power went out in the middle of last night on a -5oC night. Fortunately the temp in the glasshouse never went below 9oC despite no heating.

Interested to know what temperature range you are aiming for with your roth hybrids. The flasks and seedlings I'm starting with I've chosen with a good % of roth or some other higher altiude multi like kolopakingii or adductum in them in the hope it makes them a a bit more cool tolerant. I'm planing on a winter range of 13/14 to 25 using 2 fan heaters on timers. Is this warm enough for species like sanderianum or anitum or randsii? I've been taking photos of some of the deflasked plant at 3/4 weekly intervals and there has been steady growth with the hybrids at these temperature. A Paph. Yang-Ji Apple seedling on the other hand has almost stopped growing.

Interested to know what temperature range you are aiming for with your roth hybrids. The flasks and seedlings I'm starting with I've chosen with a good % of roth or some other higher altiude multi like kolopakingii or adductum in them in the hope it makes them a a bit more cool tolerant. I'm planing on a winter range of 13/14 to 25 using 2 fan heaters on timers. Is this warm enough for species like sanderianum or anitum or randsii? I've been taking photos of some of the deflasked plant at 3/4 weekly intervals and there has been steady growth with the hybrids at these temperature. A Paph. Yang-Ji Apple seedling on the other hand has almost stopped growing.

My minimum temps are around 15-16oC all year round. Despite the cold winters my maximums reach the high 20's (even 30oC). In winter I put the shade cloth inside the glasshouse so the surface of the glasshouse gets a lot of direct sun so it heats it up nicely. The sun hits the glasshouse very early in the morning so the inside temps are quite warm (above 25oC) most of the day. The warmer you can get your glasshouse the better. Ideally for small multi-floral seedlings like sanderianum, anitum or randsii you would keep the temps above 18-20oC. Adult plants can be kept a bit cooler.

My minimum temps are around 15-16oC all year round. Despite the cold winters my maximums reach the high 20's (even 30oC). In winter I put the shade cloth inside the glasshouse so the surface of the glasshouse gets a lot of direct sun so it heats it up nicely. The sun hits the glasshouse very early in the morning so the inside temps are quite warm (above 25oC) most of the day. The warmer you can get your glasshouse the better. Ideally for small multi-floral seedlings like sanderianum, anitum or randsii you would keep the temps above 18-20oC. Adult plants can be kept a bit cooler.

Thanks for the info. I might crank the thermostat up to 15/16 when I get the new roof on.

Welcome to the forum, from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Question, are you using any fans to circulate the air in your green house? I have fans running intermittently 24/7 does a lot of good.

Latest posts

Back