Hi from Montreal!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

daniella3d

Hi everyone,

I have been growing phal for a long time now and fell in love with the paph and phrag plants. I started with paphs a few months ago with 2 Philippinense and one sandy and since things were doing good I bought a few more paphs from a local nursery.

I wanted a phrag a lot so I just ordered a few and received them yesterday...so excited! but now I will have a few questions I guess!

Here is my collection so far, and probably that's going to be it because I don't have that much room! lol!

First, 2 philippinense in the back. They were sold to me as flowering size but then Philippinense must be smaller than I thought because those have 8" leave for the longest. They did not have much roots when I got them (bare roots) and I repoted them in bark, perlite and CHC and they have grow a lot of new roots in just a month and half. The sanderianum in front is still tiny, and did not have much roots when I got it (also bare roots). It grow very slowly, just 1/4" to 1/2" since I got it 2 months ago:

philli-sandy_zpsa8c63fe0.jpg

These I bought 2 weeks ago, I love the pattern in the leaves.
back row from left to right:

Paph. Maudiae 'Green' x Paph. Maudiae 'Red'
Paph. Hsinying x Paph. Hsinying Majakun

front row from left to right:

rothschildianum x micranthum
Hsinying x Paph. Hsinying Majakun with 2 flowers

paph2_zps5f7adc9d.jpg

And my latest, 2 phrags and 1 paph that I bought from Paramount Orchids in British Columbia. They were sent in pots and well packed, they arrived yesterday:

Back row, left to right:

Phragmipedium Ashley Wilkes
Phragmipedium Betheva

and a Paphiopedilum Michael Koopowitz

They are lots of white stains on the leaves, should I clean that up? I guess they were watered with hard water. I will change all that as I use RO water.

phrag_zps3afa1a14.jpg

That's it for now, I hope I can keep them healthy, don't even care if they flower or not (well not so much) I just want them healthy and happy!

Great start! Now starts the obsession, one morning you will wake up and wonder where the jungle came from. Enjoy, the early days are refreshing and exciting.

nice plants. those philippinense are indeed blooming size.

don't worry about the hard water stains. however lemon juice works to remove it (but then wash off the lemon juice too).

with that coarse bark you are using be sure to water frequently to keep the roots a little moist.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I water every day for the Philippinenses and the sanderianum as they do dry out quite fast, with the large bark and this type of pots, plus a fan. I thought I would be better doing this and watering more often than having something that is more dense and stay wet longer and risk rotting them. I think I was a bit overzealous! But the problem is, now I am afraid to leave even for a weekend! lol! So I will need to add maybe a bit of spagnum to that mix so that it dry in 3 days instead of 1.

I am glad to know the Philippinenses are blooming size, it means they will remain compact then, so more room for more plants! :wink:

They are doing very well in those pots and with this watering schedule as they have grow tons of new roots:

roots_zps13324de5.jpg

nice plants. those philippinense are indeed blooming size.

don't worry about the hard water stains. however lemon juice works to remove it (but then wash off the lemon juice too).

with that coarse bark you are using be sure to water frequently to keep the roots a little moist.

it's ok if the Paphs dry out for a few days so you are fine to go away for the weekend. just don't want to make this the norm.

Welcome, Daniella! Looks like you have a nice collection started.

I use milk on a cotton ball to clean the leaves. After they are cleaned, they are nice and shiny, and the milk doesn't need to be wiped off -- but I wipe them dry with the cotton ball/milk.

Cool, I will try that. Is there any risk of the plant getting mold or fungus if the milk remain on the leaves?

Welcome, Daniella! Looks like you have a nice collection started.

I use milk on a cotton ball to clean the leaves. After they are cleaned, they are nice and shiny, and the milk doesn't need to be wiped off -- but I wipe them dry with the cotton ball/milk.

Welcome from NYC. yes, there are small size/blooming phill. Who did you order from? Hopefully I will make the event in October in Montreal. If not, see you next OrchidExpo! :)

I ordered my Philippinenses from fineorchids.com in New Brunswick. They had a special and they were affordable so I ordered 2, just in case I would lose one, but so far both are growing well. I grow them under UFO grow light. They grow fast. If only the sanderianum would grow as fast.

What event are you refering to? I would really like to go there if you have info on it.

Welcome from NYC. yes, there are small size/blooming phill. Who did you order from? Hopefully I will make the event in October in Montreal. If not, see you next OrchidExpo! :)

Welcome aboard!

I am pretty sure you'll have more plants soon. If you think you are running low on space. You'll find room somewhere. It happens to us all.

Back