Hey from upstate ny

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm charles and from snowy upstate ny! I have a bunch of different species though there are a few odd hybrids here and there including a few phrag hybrids; mostly have phal species but a few things here and there from lots of other genera. I've tried many different species, and dendrobiums and aerangis are two that I've tried a lot and decided that we agree to disagree (mostly I say plant stay alive and the plant says 'no thanks'). I have a few paph species, a few phrag species and hybrids most of them came from Rice's Greenhouses before he passed away; unfortunately most of these plants have mealybug here and there :mad: and the hirsutissimum have bought the farm because of them. Though I work where we often spray chemicals on plants I am very leery of using any at home in my apartment where my plants are but am getting grritated at these bugs so something likely will happy soon ; )

Let's see; in slippers I have a few pieces of a paph spicerianum same plant that has done well, a delenatii that grows well and once in a while has one flower, had a few other species from Rices that died when I tried them in aussie gold, a concolor variety that I've paid for but haven't seen yet (bought from one vendor and is at another vendor's), another latest installment of micranthum which usually does a slow decline and never flowers, an emersonii that slowly grows and looks good but hasn't flowered (one growth that puts out new leaves but not new growths or flowers), a hirsutissimum in s/h that needs to be put into something else and two armeniacums that by chance are both in bud though they are two different plants, different sizes, one grown under lights and the other on a windowsill;

phrags an ecua=bess, a sedenii, an unknown hybrid (labeled as such by Ellenberger's), a besseae from Decker's, a yellow besseae from Mountain Orchids that has bugs and isn't really happy, a longifolium type that might be a one of those branched ones named after that guy from Canada that found them (tetzlafianum), a schlimii bought from Bloomfield that was very nice but hasn't progressed or flowered (my lack of proper know-how) a fischeri that is hanging on to life but not doing very well, and last but not least a plant bought as dalessandroi that looks much like the one Heather had that is likely a besseae or hybrid.

I'll probably be making lots of posts eventually on how to keep all of these from dying, though a good start would be to get rid of the mealybugs.
Oh, I have a mexipedium that has a few growths but no real new roots (humidity is too low) and I have over-fertilized a few times and burned back. Once it was going to flower but I got water on the bud or something and it blasted.

I've been growing plants since I was a kid and orchids for probably fifteen years or more, it's more fun now that they don't die as quickly and some of them actually flower a few times! Should be fun to learn more good tips and tricks on how to keep these plants alive.

take it easy,
charles

Charles,
Welcome from Catskill, NY!!!
Nice list you have:) If you go through some of the older threads there is alot of info for growing, fertilizer lighting ect. I found it very helpful, I still go through them to refresh my memory. Plus I also ask ?s too..

Tom

Welcome from NYC. I would take the plants somewhere into good light and wipe off the bugs w/ a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol. There's nothing like the feel ing of hurting the bugs that have been hurting your plants! :evil: Put the phrags [yep except besseae flavum] in saucers w/ good water in the bottom and they should perk up.

Charles,

Welcome from a fellow Upstate Nyer, albeit further west than you.

Have always enjoyed your posts at OGD and look forward to your insightful contributions here.

charlie c

Hey all and thanks for the kind welcomes and advice; Eric, once in a while I will take a few mealybugs and feed them to the guppies and catfish in my aquarium! = ) Too bad though there are always more and I just need to get motivated. I've learned alot from other lists and it's shown in how those plants grow, and am looking forward to having the rest of my plants do better as well.
take it easy,
charles

Welcome from Charlton, NY. I've been to Oriskany. As a matter of fact I passed through Oneida Co today. At a rest stop for a cup of java I was reading about The Battle of Oriskany, August 6, 1777. I am about 1.5 hours east of you. I get off at the Amsterdam exit and head east on Rt 67 to get home. My sister-in-law is from Whitesboro.

Hello Ron,
I live about 200 yds from the old erie canal that I used to walk my dog along and ride my bike on (sun, rain or snow). I go by the tall monument commemorating the Oriskany battle, though I haven't stopped there.

Since this is a slipper list, have you ever been to the bogs north of here or up in the adirondacks that have yellow and showy ladyslippers? I'm also into native orchids and have done lots of traveling around the state to take pictures. I'm originally from the Binghamton area near Whitney Point, and also went to school at Cobleskill and Ithaca (member of the CNYOS, STOS, IPA and NANOC). I hadn't realized until just recently that Glen Decker's place is West of Albany, I should go there some time. Maybe I should clean up my plants first before adding more.
charles

Hello Ron,
I live about 200 yds from the old erie canal that I used to walk my dog along and ride my bike on (sun, rain or snow). I go by the tall monument commemorating the Oriskany battle, though I haven't stopped there.

Since this is a slipper list, have you ever been to the bogs north of here or up in the adirondacks that have yellow and showy ladyslippers? I'm also into native orchids and have done lots of traveling around the state to take pictures. I'm originally from the Binghamton area near Whitney Point, and also went to school at Cobleskill and Ithaca (member of the CNYOS, STOS, IPA and NANOC). I hadn't realized until just recently that Glen Decker's place is West of Albany, I should go there some time. Maybe I should clean up my plants first before adding more.
charles

I have seen the Showy Ladyslippers but not the yellow ones. The pink lady slippers grow lakeside of one of the likes I hike into. I have never seen them in a bog. I have seen them growing in mossy areas in close proximity to cedar trees.

I live a couple of minutes from Piping Rock Orchids and grow most of collection in his greenhouses. He is 1/2 mile north of rt 67, I am two roads further east and a 1/2 mile south of 67. If you ever make the trip to Glen's, let me know in advance and I will try to stop by and meet you.

I have seen the Showy Ladyslippers but not the yellow ones. The pink lady slippers grow lakeside of one of the likes I hike into. I have never seen them in a bog. I have seen them growing in mossy areas in close proximity to cedar trees.

I live a couple of minutes from Piping Rock Orchids and grow most of collection in his greenhouses. He is 1/2 mile north of rt 67, I am two roads further east and a 1/2 mile south of 67. If you ever make the trip to Glen's, let me know in advance and I will try to stop by and meet you.

Hey, sounds good. There is a spot in Remsen a tiny fen that has yellow ladyslippers, showies, one whitish pink ladyslipper, bog candles, loesel's twayblades, grass pinks and rose pogonias. Just down/across the road there are a bunch of large pink ladyslippers growing on the property of one of the gravel companies on the edge of the swampy area. Usually the pinks that grow in wet areas are actually growing in the soil around hemlocks, which are growing over the calciferous areas; you get lime and acid-loving plants growing right next to each other. The yellows are over a bit growing out of the sphagnum in amongst shrubs. There are some spots in the moose river plains area near inlet where there are tons of pink ladyslippers all over the place. *sigh* winter is just beginning,......

Welcome, Charles.

We've all had to battle bugs at one time or another. Don't give up.

thanks for the support! there was a time right after I started growing orchids and was at an orchid society meeting when Mr. Rice looked at my plants and commented on how nice my culture was. was nice to hear, but as soon as the first bug showed up and started chewing on my plants the plants went south; I didn't know how to deal with bugs/disease or even knew what they were. culture was great until the bad things showed up! won't give up, just sometimes there are detours and things like that. I once thought that I had most of the things gone after treating with a marathon-like chemical and it worked great on the scale which there is very little, but the mealybugs didn't seem fazed and they are now the worst. Used to be just one here or there and more scale, but now it has switched. time to get out the mini-flamethrower and cook some bugs

Latest posts

Back