Hey, Ernie. It bloomed.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with those different Pinnochio is that there are many type of crosses under that name in the pot-plant trade. By choosing the proper one, people can sell glaucophyllum album, or the rarer, more expensive moquetteanum album, or primulinum under steroids.

To sum up:
- Pinnochio F1 = primulinum x glaucophyllum or moquetteanum at that time. No use for the yellow scam, they are all colored.
- The selfings of those ones, and their selfings. Great for the primulinum 4n/selected primulinum scam.
- The 4n made by Floricultura and their selfings. Glaucophyllum album or primulinum, very very selected.
- The Pinnochio x primulinum, perfect for a part of the seedlings, primulinum that no one can compete with.

People forget that primulinum from the jungle, 20 years ago, was a quite gracile species, small flowers, fragrant, and with very, very distinctive leaves.

I try to find out a picture of a plant, the closest I can come by on the internet is that one:

http://aqorchids.com/Seedling_primulinum.jpg

It would be the maximum size of a primulinum, but it should be a bit darker green to say the least. The leaf and plant shape look more correct.

For the flower shape, it would be more like that:

http://gardenbreizh.org/modules/pix/cache/photos_160000/GBPIX_photo_165955.jpg

About 10-15 years ago, both Lecoufle and the Jardins du Luxembourg still had original plants documented back to Kolopaking in the 70's. There were maybe 20-30 different ones, leaves ranging from 15x1cm up to maximum 18-20 x 2 cm for one specific plant. But most had very smallish leaves, and this flower shape, just to give an idea.

I think that they have been too contaminated by the Pinnochio, so only a few people remember how a primulinum should look like. Furthermore, when the Indos were out of stock, they traded paphs with Europe against pinnochio album, first as pot-plant, then to sell those ones to their Taiwanese, US and Japanese market - and sometimes back to Europe.

Now it is nearly gone, but before, there were a lot of nurseries in Indonesia dealing in pot-plant.... One even had some thousands praestans/gardineri etc... clumps for the Japanese pot-plant market. There are still couple hundreds there in that nursery - that's them who had the first praestans album ever found...

very interesting discussion... I am wondering now what I have gotten from OL... (anyway, whatever it is I'll keep it labelled as Paph. primulinum!)... however, very good to know all the chaos in this group of Paphies...

The problem with those different Pinnochio is that there are many type of crosses under that name in the pot-plant trade. By choosing the proper one, people can sell glaucophyllum album, or the rarer, more expensive moquetteanum album, or primulinum under steroids.

To sum up:
- Pinnochio F1 = primulinum x glaucophyllum or moquetteanum at that time. No use for the yellow scam, they are all colored.
- The selfings of those ones, and their selfings. Great for the primulinum 4n/selected primulinum scam.
- The 4n made by Floricultura and their selfings. Glaucophyllum album or primulinum, very very selected.

just confused now at this point of the discussion. Didn't you said before that glaucophyllum album or moquetteanum album do not exist!?

I do remember the old small growing small flowered primulinum. Dick Clements had a batch of seedlings from Rex van Delden, that were from a selfing of a division of the plant originally deposited at Kew as the type specimen for primulinum. If the verbal provenance can be believed. I do remember that many of the seedlings had a pleasant sweet fragrance, especially about mid day. This was about 1979 through 1985 or so. Then a devade later, much larger flowered primulinum like Pinoccho's started appearing. No fragrance for any of them. Primulinum is dominant for suppressing purple in its hybrids, but recessive for fragrance in its hybrids. There may be a few oldies around, I lost my primulinum years ago. I have not applied a critical eye to my current replacement. I am not sure what I have anymore.

There are still couple hundreds there in that nursery - that's them who had the first praestans album ever found...

There you go again, mentioning dream plants of which we've never heard or seen. Where are these praestans albums and are there seedlings on the way we can get?? Any pics of these?

There you go again, mentioning dream plants of which we've never heard or seen. Where are these praestans albums and are there seedlings on the way we can get?? Any pics of these?

The praestans album appeared in cultivation in the 80's, one division sold at that time by the Indonesians, then the remaining of the plant has been sold maybe 15 years ago to a wealthy orchid collector in Europe, in Germany, who killed it. End of the story. There are pictures in Olaf book albino paphiopedilum, that's the very same plant... It joined mastersianum album and sangii album in the plants that existed once, bloomed once, but did not survive long enough to have progeny...

Latest posts

Back