hey buddy, can you spare some info on Pereskia?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
soon i'll be growing a lot of pereskia species for a new prof and i'm getting them in as unrooted cuttings. anyone have any hints or suggestions for rooting them? i've grown bleo and grandifolia for a while without issue....

Pereskia roots easily....I just grew them by sticking them in a typical cactus mix, just kept them wetter...I gave them away though...nasty plants...those tiny glochids are worse than spines...Take care, Eric

well, they came in today. don't look incredibly happy, but hopefully i can change that...
only left with one glochids (i was gonna say spine, but technically, i don't think it is...) in my hand i can't seem to find...

peres3.jpg

peres2.jpg

peres1.jpg

this is a Pereskia grandifolia or rose cactus
peresgrand.jpg

and this (drum roll, please) is the first time i've bloomed Pereskia bleo. i think it's also called wax rose
peresbleo.jpg

oh, but they are...
do you see the big thorn sticking straight down on the rose cactus?
they seem to be grouped around the leaves so they may be hard to see.

Pereskia (and Pereskiopsis) can be used as grafting stock for Epiphyllums and Christmas/Easter cacti. Just split a stem down the middle, insert the cutting (trimmed to expose the cambium and make it fit), and use one of the long spines to pin everything in place. The bloom is gorgeous...but I couldn't hack the glochids long enough to see mine bloom. Forget the species name..they were given to me by Frank Bowman, who was in charge of the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's cacti collection at the time. Take care, Eric

My son has been bugging me for Pereskia for some time now...so I finally decided to bid on a few that were on Ebay...he did real well on his SAT's, so I promised him that I would break my long standing ban....we'll see if I win...I'm sure they will make him happy...but I'll have to be sure my tweezers are within reach.....Take care, Eric

they're growing like gangbusters, well, most of them.
i'll try to take photos in the next week or so but the suckers now take up a whole bench.
some have flowered, others nope.

update....

so things have changed a little. here is how they look now

overview.jpg

no flowers today but here's a closeup of the fruit of one of the smaller flowered ones. the metal clip lookin' thing is the tweezers from my swiss army knife

closeupdiazromeroanafruit.jpg

some things have been added, for example, some Avonia (well, depending who you ask they may now be called Anacampseros)

Avoniaalbissima.jpg
Avoniabuderiana.jpg
Avoniaquinaria.jpg

this is an Anacampseros

Anacampseros.jpg

some Pereskia have big spines (swiss army knife tweezers again for scale)

spines.jpg

some turn woody pretty quickly

woody.jpg

they like stuff with vestigial leaves

vestigialleavescloseup.jpg

Dorstenia are in the fig family. apparently the flower stalk is very like a fig, but they don't close up on themselves as figs do (?)

Dorstenia.jpg

here's the inflorescence

Dorsteniainflorescence.jpg

then there are the weird things....

weird stuff.....

Senecio are in the dandelion family

senecios.jpg

senecioclose.jpg

Alluaudia are found in Madagascar

anotheralluardia.jpg

this one has tiny leaves that fall off as it develops but the photosynthesis takes place in the stem.

alluardiacloseup.jpg

any questions?

Latest posts

Back