Here is my little list

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo of a tombstone plant hot of the press as of a few minutes ago.

This is the plant the cat ate earlier today, look at those fresh teeth marks-

img_0008_00.jpg

This is the precious cat that ate the plant-

img_0002_00.jpg

Right about now, this is what I'd like to do to the cat that ate my plant-

Eli.jpg

You have a sick twisted sense of humor, I like that in a person. You know, I was discussing the possibility of stitching his mouth closed, he needs to lose a little bit more weight anyway.

Egads- the photographs above are of two different siamese just in case somebody who is a cat connoisseur spots the differences in color and size. The top photo is actually of the cat that ate the plant, he's a blue point and he's obese and so his name is Small Head. That cat was actually much fatter when we first got him- so much so that he looked like he had a shrunken head on his body. He is very affectionate and loves everybody and will greet guests... or should I say tries to wrap himself around their legs when they are walking to trip them. The last photo is of a lilac point siamese. He's more of a closet cat and disappears when people come over but he is one of the three cats that follows me around the house where ever I go. All three of my "faithful followers" followed me up the stairs when I was going to take a picture of my schlimii to post here. The gray cat, the normal sized lilac point siamese, and an orange cat that you can only see the foot of in the last photo are my faithful followers. Where ever I go, they go. They don't normally eat plants but they would if they could.

So, how long until my schlimii recovers or should I just send it packing to plant heaven now and toss it in the garbage can along with the Aerangis I trashed a few days ago?

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:good one Candace!!! :D:D
Lauren - you can corral 2 Great Danes - 13 kids should be nothing!:wink:
My sister-in-law put up the baby gates for the 20 kids in our families! Only adults were allowed up the stairs!

I want lessons on corralling cats from you! That first one is the fat one that was wrapping itself around your legs while the second photo was of the skinnier one that scattered when you came too close to it.

We had two spare dogs over here yesterday. A Doberman and some sort of a beagle mix thing. Man those two dogs are always something else. That Doberman is agile and goes right over gates in a single bound while that Beagle thing crawls right under sideways so he can go chase cats. Have you been agility training those two dogs? If you have, you need to stop because they've learned enough tricks already.

Oh man, you had 20 kids yesterday. I thought I was bad off with as many as what we had.

Just realized my list of orchids didn't include the P. fairrieanum album ('Green Baby' x '#2') from Enlightened Orchids and I can't go back and edit the most recent list- oops.

I think your plant could easily rebound if babied. I do think it's a bit over potted though. But, I probably wouldn't further stress it. Just watch it and it may be fine. It looks like the crown hasn't been damaged.

I have a seal point male and a chocolate female, brother and sister. Odd and I'm very happy about it, they have absolutely no interest in my plants. They've never eaten one. The female is a butterball too, and we have to feed them both low cal. food or she'd be even fatter.

What are the risks of overpotting? Just curious because I tried my best to re-pot in pots that I felt reasonably comfortable they could hang out in for a year without any risk of out growing and getting cramped.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you end up with a seal and chocolate point from the same litter? Most people who breed stick to chocolates or seals. I don't breed, all of ours are from animal shelters and we picked them up as older adults. I have a beast of a chocolate point male here. I've tried to put him on diets on and off for the past 10 years or so but it doesn't work. Seems as if every time he gets down to a great weight and I take him off the diet food, he gains back all that he lost plus an extra pound. I recently lost a chocolate point female that was over 20 years of age. She was thin and trim until the day she died. Funny how some are just drooling beasty slugs and some are fit for life.

That last one we recently lost was the one that was senile that was using potted plants as litter boxes. She never ate the plants but she sure did make a mess of them.

Post some photos of your babies. I'll try to get a photo of the beastiest of all my cats. Don't laugh when you see his pic, he has low self esteem.

They sell grass for cats.
Tried that, ended up with green barf all over my house. My cats are older. I'm told they have sensitive digestive tracts.

I can track you down and find where you live and send Small Head to you for a visit. You said in another thread you needed help re-potting so perhaps you need some help trimming back?

What are the risks of overpotting? Just curious because I tried my best to re-pot in pots that I felt reasonably comfortable they could hang out in for a year without any risk of out growing and getting cramped.
As a general rule, the smaller pot the better as many orchids prefer it rather than wobbling about in a too large pot. It's also easier to rot out plants in larger pots since the medium stays wetter, longer. Many times people will repot paphs and phrags in new medium in the same size pot unless it's pretty overgrown.

The mother of my cats was a chocolate point the the father was a seal. One of them had papers and the other didn't I believe, so my cats don't have papers and the "breeder" was a lady who lives in my town. They had mites, fleas and were generally unkempt. Not a great situation. But I got them rather cheaply and I felt like I was rescuing them. My seal male before this, I'd gotten from a reputable breeder and paid a fortune for. We spent over $1500 in surgeries and had to put him down before he was 2 years old. I figured going with a hack breeder near me would give me the same odds...and they have turned out to be sweet cats. So it worked out o.k. I do think most breeders aim for one type but this lady was certainly not in it for upgrading the breed.

I'll try to take a photo of them today and post it.

They sell grass for cats.

hmmmm .... maybe Eric means a different kind of grass.:p :rollhappy:just picture that!

Overwatering, more media getting wet, they're not drying out as fast, less air around roots, roots then rot.
Most don't mind being a little cramped.

Oopsie then. If that photo is over potting, I've got quite a few more that were over potted. Live and learn. I was really trying to avoid what happened with some plants before.

updating list-

Here we go! Current as of today the 27th-

Aerangis biloba
A. citrate (may or may not live, knocked it over a few times then sat my elbow on it)

A. formosanus

Aplectrum hyemale

Bletilla striata

Brassocattlaya Roman Holiday

Bulbophyllum echinolabium (gave them away to friend)

Calopogon tuberosus f. alba

Coeloglossum viride

Cypripedium acaule (have 4, hoping for the best)
C. arietinum (2 ordered for delivery in spring '08)
C. parviflorum var. pubescens
C. reginae

Epipactis helleborine (not by choice am I growing this)

Goodyera hispida
G. pubescens

Habenaria (Platanthera) blephariglottis
I have a few more Platanthera out there but have forgotten what I have

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall'

Jumella comorensis

Kefersteinia tolimensis

Kingidium deliciosum

Koellenstenia graminea

Ludisia discolor
L. discolor alba

Macodes lowii

M. tridens

Mischobulbum grandiflorum

Neofinetia falcata
Neofinetia falcata ?

Nephalaphyllum pulchrum

Orchis spectabilis

Paphiopedilum callosum
P. Charlesworthii (Birchwood x ‘FV’ HCC/AOS)
P. delentii
P. Deperle
P. Fanaticum
P. fairrieanum album ('Green Baby' x '#2')
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
P. henryanum
P. In-Charm
P. insigne 'Sanderae'
P. Lady Isabel ‘Harrier’ x Deena Nicole
P. Lauren
P. Leeanum
P. kolopakingii x delenatii
P. liemianum x Victoria-regina
P. Limelight Vinicolor
P. lowii
P. lowii (Mem. Agnes Holding AM/AOS x New Horizon)
P. 'Magic Lantern' (have two of these)
P. Makuli Alba
P. malipoense
P. Maudiae Alba
P. Maudiea x (Hinying Majukun x Alma Gevaert)
P. Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
P. philippinense var. alba
P. Pinocchio var. album
P. Psyche x topperii
P. spicerianum
P. sukhakulii
P. topperii x delenatii
P. Transvaal
P. venustum album
P. Victoria Reginae x lowii
P. wardii
P. wolteranum ‘Pink Wing’ x wolteranum ‘Horizon’
+ 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
P. parishii
P. speciosa v. tetraspis
P. 'Zuma Camreal'
+ 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Phragmipedium Ackers Starlight (Twilight X besseae)
P. amazonica (Peru)
P. Apple Pie (Mag Rose X besseae)
P. Audrey (Twilight X Grande)
P. boissierianum
P. Cape Sunset
P. caricinum
P. caudatum
P. equadorense
P. fairrieanum f. Bohlmannianum
P. Habingers Grasshopper (‘Green Goddess’ x ‘Verde’)
P. Kelly Nash
P. Les Dirouilles
P. longifolium
P. Magdalene Rose 4N x Barbara LeAnn
P. Maria Glanz (besseae var d’allesandroi x wallisii)
P. Mountain Maid
P. Paul Eugene Conroy
P. pearcei
P. popowii
P. Penns Creek Cascade
P. Praying Mantis
P. richteri
P. schlimii
P. Schroederae
P. Sedenii
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice x pearcei
P. wallisii (may or may not be the real McCoy)

Podangis dactyloceras

Sarcoglottis sceptrodes

Sedirea japonica

Spiranthes cernua 'Odorata'

Tipularia discolor

Tuberolabium kotoense

Waiting for-
Paphiopedilum dianthum back ordered
P. Silverleaf- backordered

Keeping an eye out for these to "possibly" purchase in the future-
Paphiopedilum appletonianum
P. wolteranium

Phragmipedium Albopurpureum
P. China Dragon 4N 'Ruby Red'
(just like the one from Piping Rock which is Grande 4N x besseae natural conversion to 4N)
P. Cotton Candy
P. Court Jester
P. exstaminodium
P. Fiddlesticks
P. Geralda
P. Grassau
P. lindenii
P. Magic Tresses
P. Mont Fallu
P. Predator
P. Rapunzel
P. Ruby Slippers