Here is my little list

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the latch is strong enough to hang it. The top loop is purely for decoration otherwise it would be hanging with the lid off cockeyed. Find a source to buy it online though because Milaeger's in Sturtevant was the nursery selling it for $109. They were the same nursery that sold the other Wardian case he bought me for over $300. They may be close to you but they tend to mark up their hard goods line a little bit too much for my liking. The online pricing even with shipping and handling is much better. Say, if you are out and about and happen to run into that 36" X 18" Wardian case I have been trying to find, please let me know. I have a perfect spot for it and now I can't find one to buy.

Most of my jewel orchids can be left to their own devices. I think that's why I like them so much. I do keep the humidity real high for them. Probably somewhere around 80%. I also grow them in pure LFS and I repot them frequently.

Adding to the list and putting it in alphabetical order-

Aerangis citrata

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall'

Kefersteinia tolimensis

Kingidium deliciosum

Koellenstenia graminea

Masdevallia andreettana
M. tridens

Neofinetia falcata
(I don't recall the bloom on that having been a slipper but I could be wrong)

Paphiopedilum delentii
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
P. 'Magic Lantern'
P. Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
plus 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
P. parishii
P. 'Zuma Camreal'
plus 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Phragmipedium Kelly Nash
P. Magdalene Rose 4N x Barbara LeAnn

Podangis dactyloceras

Sedirea japonica

Tuberolabium kotoense

Hey - Hey! You're doing good! Nice variety. Your memory serves you right - The neofinetia is not a slipper, but they take up very little space, they're sooo cute & fragrant too!

Why if it isn't my personal shopper stopping in to admire my expanded collection... thank you for my new babies. And while I'm at it; thank you for the fully guided tour, the potting lesson, the book, the tomatoes, and the cucumbers.

MY PLEASURE - it was good to meet you in person! BTW I think I should give you a plant back - you said it would never bloom in your lighting. I was going thru the jungle & it's got 4 SPIKES on it!!!

Lemme guess, the one we brought back from China right? Front seat of my car and to the right? Figures. That ingrate of a plant! I saw something on that plant but didn't quite know what it was. Here are my thoughts, all of those plants were big and able to be divided. Let the thing bloom and when it is finished, lop off a division for me and I'll try again with it. If that was one of the plants that had a tag, create a new tag for me please as I've decided to try to keep tags with the plants by ramming them down deep so the little sweetie pies can't chew on them and run off with them. If you take a photo of the bloom, I might be able to tell you what the plant was sold to me as. I did take photos of the plants in bloom when I bought them so I'd able to know what I had in the event a cat went rooting around in the pots... which is what's been happening every time they sneak in by the orchids.

:rollhappy::rollhappy: there was only one plant missing a tag & then the loose tag on the floor of the car, so it will be pretty easy to ID. I already am pretty certain which one is Brs. Rising Star. By the time the plants came from your car to my house between the counter & table I have NO idea which was the China or Japan ones! The one in spike is Pelican Lake 'Everglades', I'll post a pic & save you a division for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing the Kelly Nash, post a pic, it shouldn't be too long before that one opens!

For what it's worth, I think we bought the Pelican Lake 'Everglades' when we were in Mauii. I could be wrong but I think that's where we brought that plant home from. The place we bought that from was spectacular, I'd like to go back and buy more orchids from him some day. Here's an oddball thing... one of the no name Phals I am keeping was bought at a KMart on the Big Island of all places. I've never seen an orchid for sale in a KMart around us, have you? They sell them like popcorn all over the place in HI.

Back to the Pelican Lake 'Everglades'- Two tags are the same name although every one of those plants is different. The two tags actually came with the same plant- why they put two plant tags in one pot is beyond me but... there was a cat accident here and one of the kids stuck one of those two tags from the same plant that a cat took off with in a different plant that had already had a cat tag accident. He figured that was the plant the tag went to because that plant had no tag. He was wrong and I never could figure out which plant was which. Sorry to disappoint but you have two plants labeled the same and only one is the real McCoy- which is which is up to you to figure out- tee he.

I looked up the Kelly Nash and I'm really excited about that blooming. I totally love the other one you gave me also. I got home and looked them both up immediately. I found some photos of the Kelly Nash but none of the other Phrag. Much variability in the Kelly Nash and I can't wait to see what colors mine will bloom.

One more thing, you should start a thread over in hobbies and pets or what ever that off topic thread place is and post photos of your husband's orchid metal sculpture and his iris metal sculpture. Impressive would be an understatement. Toss in that petite rose in a little vase too.

I thinned the jungle this afternoon, I just finished boxing up plants for Marilyn. They were in need of dividing/repotting, the root masses were unbelievable!
As soon as I pulled it out of the pot - I know for sure which one is Brs. Rising Star - the roots tell it all!
I would have to do major surgery on the plant in spike, so I left it alone & it won't be long to see if it's Pelican Lake!
What kind of peat/sand ratio should I give the pings?

50% Canadian sphagnum peat to 50% rinsed coarse sand. Rinse the sand really well until the water runs clear. Bummer I didn't think of bringing any rinsed sand for you and Marilyn and I just rinsed about four 5-gallon buckets of it and had left overs. Water with rain water only. These need to be kept wet while actively growing. You can cut back on the water around October.

Sorry to leave you with so much work. I knew those plants were big. Hope you got a few divisions off of each one to share with Marilyn or any other friends who have the appropriate light for them to bloom. On the plus side, they're pest free!

Oops, lay that one leaf (or any others that fall from the rosette) on the top of the potting medium with all portions of it lightly pushed down into the peat/sand mix. You might get pups off of that.

No trouble, I do have Canadian peat & we have pockets/veins of sand when we were digging the foundation for the gazebo & other pond.

Here is my update after receiving two plants today-

Aerangis citrate

Anoectochilus chapensis
A. formosanus

Cypripedium acaule (have 4, hoping for the best)
C. parviflorum var. pubescens (just received two)

Goodyera hispida

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall'

Kefersteinia tolimensis

Kingidium deliciosum

Koellenstenia graminea

Ludisia discolor

Macodes lowii

Masdevallia andreettana
M. tridens

Mischobulbum grandiflorum

Neofinetia falcata

Nephalaphyllum pulchrum

Paphiopedilum delentii
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
P. 'Magic Lantern'
P. Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
plus 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
P. parishii
P. 'Zuma Camreal'
plus 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Phragmipedium Kelly Nash
P. Magdalene Rose 4N x Barbara LeAnn

Podangis dactyloceras

Sarcoglottis sceptrodes

Sedirea japonica

Tuberolabium kotoense

This is everything I have in the orchid department.

Just ordered the following for pick up-

Phragmipedium caudatum
P. Schroderae
P. Sedenii
Paphiopedilum Silverleaf (I think this is what he called it)
P. lowii

Cypripedium reginae

Ordered for delivery spring of next year-
2 Cypripedium arietinum

Just ordered the following and now I am penniless-

Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Paphiopedilum malipoense

Phragmipedium pearcei hybrid of some sort
P. wardii
P. longifolium
P. Paul Eugene Conroy
P. wallisii
P. Sorcerer's Apprentice

Looking for:
Phragmipedium schlimii
P. wallisii

Paphiopedilum insigne
P. haynaldianum

editing to add that I'd also like-
Paphiopedilum In-Charm

Last edited:
:arrr: I THOUGHT I WAS YOUR PERSONAL SHOPPER? :confused:YOU BLEW MY BUDGET! :eek: YOU JUST COULDN"T WAIT TIL SATURDAY?

You are my personal shopper. Look at what I ordered, those are suggestions from other members and I ran them by you to get the stamp of approval. Trust me, that's all I could find info online for or I would have ordered more. I'm still trying to get those pellets too. There's a nursery that you and me are going to Saturday that has stuff I can't even pronounce let alone type into a search engine to look up so you'll have to do your thing again only this time it will be on the spot as I'm not bringing a wireless laptop with me. My bet is you know your orchids as well as I know my native plants. There there there honey, you can do in my check book some more this weekend and I'm bringing a charge card too!

Latest posts

Back