Here is my little list

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I read what tags I have left still stuck in pots (excluding jewel orchids and misc.) and this is what I have inside-

Paphiopedilum Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
P. 'Magic Lantern'
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
plus 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Neofinetia falcata
(I don't recall the bloom on that having been a slipper but I could be wrong)

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
plus 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Aerangis citrata

Kingidium deliciosum

That's it. That's my collection.

Please correct the names of my plants if I have misspelled something. I'm not all that familiar with orchids.

The neo for sure isn't a slipper. But you have good taste in paphs! Have you bloomed any or most of them?

All of the paphs and phals have bloomed for me. Some bloom a few times a year. One Paph needs to be divided I think. I will have to learn how to deal with that when I get back from vacation.

The Neofinetia falcata, Aerangis citrata, and the Kingidium deliciosum were recent purchases from Oak Hill and were small. I'm going by what I recall to have been the photo of what the plant would look like when in bloom in the future. Oak Hill has photos of the plants they sell behind the trays.

There's one orchid in particular I would like to see bloom someday that I bought from Oak Hill that isn't a jewell or slipper orchid. Bulbophyllum hirtum. Neat plant based on the photo behind the tray.

That's a nice little collection. If you want you can search for plants that agree w/ [i.e. proliferate and bloom in] the conditions you can provide and build up those types.

A great start (I'm sure you'll be buying more! :)). You do have great taste in Paphs. I especially like the Norito Hasegawa and Magic Lantern (yay Parvis!). Also, I'm jealous you have a Neo - can't find any at the moment.

Hey Marco, I actually have another Neo. I think it might have been a named cultivar. Sadly, I lost the tag to it but when it grows up and hopefully blooms for me, I can post a photo. Those plants are in Wardian cases. Cherry on top is a cute phrase.

Hey Eric, one of the reasons why I joined here was to get help in that area. It will take time to learn what to search for. I really do need to focus on what I can grow and ditch the sink or swim philosophy I've subscribed to in the past for indoor plants. I have to get rid of some orchids that don't like what I have to offer here to make space for any type of an orchid that likes bright indirect light that can be grown at room temperature of 70-72F year round with a night time drop to 65F.

I actually have a few other miscellaneous orchids scattered here and there in those Wardian cases and one day I'll go around and write down what I have and post it here. I know I have a Vanilla planifolia that is doing well that I was given when I visited Duke University as a cutting. Surprisingly it rooted. I've got some other orchid from them that I was told I probably wouldn't have a shot in hell at being able to root and surprisingly that rooted too. I should send them a photo with nanner nanner nanner on it. I'll have to figure out how to post a photo here and see if anyone knows what it might be.

Hey parvi, I buy what looks healthy that has an appealing photo on the tag or display card. So far the plants that have bloomed have been just like the photos I saw when I bought them. This is a good thing. And yes, I will probably buy 2 or 3 more but then I will hold for a while. I'm sort of slow until I figure out what I'm doing and protected space in which to grow them is limited here. Now jewel orchids... that's another story. They're small.

Hey bwester- I'm working on slippers. I've got one coming this fall and two coming next spring. When I go to that Ackers I have no doubt that Enabler 1 and Enabler 2 will help me pick a tropical slipper of some sort to try out in the area where I grow the others. It's a start. Little by little. Speaking of slippers, I have one that no longer has a tag that we brought home from HI that is very similar to the one in your avatar. It's one of my six nameless paphs. It's my favorite of all of them and is the plant I think is in need of being divided. Probably in need of being repotted with fresh medium too.

Here are the names of other orchids from two more cases-
Masdevallia tridens (has bloomed for me but currently not happy)
Podangis dactyloceras (has bloomed for me)
Kefersteinia tolimensis
Koellenstenia graminea
Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall' (has bloomed for me)

All the above were recent purchases from Oak Hill.

I have two more cases that have non-jewel orchids in them also from Oak Hill and then the few in my bathroom on the sink from that same nursery. Too tired to walk up there with a pen and paper to write down the names from the tags.

I hope I don't need to buy more cases after I meet up with Enabler 1 and Enabler 2. I'm running out of space for cases too.

Last edited:
Humidity is the aspect of your conditions that is missing. I overwater so I mostly grow plants in media to keep moist [Phrags and Pleurothallids] or in media that gets rid of water quickly[Tolumnia] . Light, temp, and humidity should be factors to meet for successfull growing. But if you buy by flower appeal you'll just have to work at keeping them happy. :) BTW, there are also some plants you just put in a corner and they grow and bloom also.

Yes, lack of humidity will be a problem even in a house with whole house humidifiers running constantly through the winter months. I can increase the relative humidity by adding pebble trays and such but that doesn't really help much. I have a decent sized greenhouse but it's specifically set up for Sarracenia not for orchids.

I'll probably always buy plants based on flower appeal. I've been fortunate enough to luck into people who can take in my flops and nurse them back to health. It is sort of a learning experience because I have stumbled upon plants that actually like it here.

I'd be interested in knowing which plants get put in a corner that grow and bloom. I'll start another thread for that in orchid culture.

I should go upstairs and get the names of the orchids that have tags and also the non-jewel orchids from the other cases. There are a few more.

editing to add that I started that thread over in the Beginner's area. Felt that was a more appropriate area

Last edited:
Here's the last of what I purchased based on flower appeal that are alive and not ear marked for new homes-
Masdevallia andreettana
Sedirea japonica
Tuberolabium kotoense
Phalaenopsis parishii
Phalaenopsis 'Zuma Camreal'

I'm very happy with the cases. The cases are considerably more attractive than the aquariams I grow many CP's in. My husband bought all of the cases except one for me when I showed an interest in the jewel orchids. One of the white table top cases was a gift to a neighbor who had stashed it box and all in a closet because she didn't like it- she dug it out and gave it to me when she found out I liked them and had the exact same one. My husband is fond of house plants of any type but particularly orchids and he likes the elegance of the slippers the best as do I so we're probably in this for the long haul. Orchids are simply awesome.

Marco- what is the plant in your avatar?

I love your Red Carpet terrarium. Can it hang, or is the loop on top only for decoration? I may want one like that.

Marilyn

Latest posts

Back