Here is my little list

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no no no no Candace, won't go to that website right now. I've got two spaces left in a Wardian case and my thoughts were to try out the Ludisia discolor alba. and a sarcoglottis hybrid. If I go where you tell me to go, I'll end up buying a whole new Wardian case and I need to start focusing on learning about what I have here already. I made a vow to myself that I was going to ditch the sink or swim approach with orchids inside my home.

editing to add-
Plant buying for inside the home is officially over. For that matter, orchid buying for outside my home is officially over also after I receive what's coming to me this fall and spring and pick up the kentuckiense. I've re-evaluated the space inside the home and will be beyond capacity once I receive the last of what I have already ordered or committed to order. Time for me to learn how to grow what I have well as opposed to adding more. I've got more than enough to keep me busy over the winter and I think all of what I purchased should have a fighting chance here based on all the help I received selecting what I did buy. Hopefully, no more giving away of plants that won't quite thrive over here in low light and low humidity.

I can be so cheap I squeak sometimes. Preferably, I'd like to save on shipping by purchasing those two from the same nursery but would break down and buy them separately if I had to. I just can't stand parting with darn near the same cost of the plant for shipping and handling.

just for grins you should check out www.orchidmall.com
I survived my visit to your lousy orchid mall but... I surfaced with an exponentially greater "lust for" list. Not good, not good at all. Well, I do know what I want for the holidays, it's called 'Rapunzel' and that my husband can buy for me. Much better than jewelry which I have no use for.

Now before any one thinks I went and bought more plants... I didn't. I was walking around outside today and am adding some hardy terrestrials that I've always had outside to my list. And well... I am going to be receiving a few gifts plants but those don't count because I didn't have to pay for them! Just ignore the existence of that Habinger's Grasshopper. I don't know how that ended up at my house... it fell from cyber space and landed here.

Update as of today-

Aerangis biloba
A. citrate

Anoectochilus chapensis
A. formosanus

Aplectrum hyemale

Bletilla striata

Brassocattlaya Roman Holiday

Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Calopogon tuberosus f. alba

Coeloglossum viride

Cypripedium acaule (have 4, hoping for the best)
C. arietinum (2 ordered for delivery in spring '08)
C. parviflorum var. pubescens
C. reginae

Epipactis helleborine (not by choice am I growing this)

Goodyera hispida
G. pubescens

Habenaria (Platanthera) blephariglottis
I have a few more Platanthera out there but have forgotten what I have

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall'

Jumella comorensis

Kefersteinia tolimensis

Kingidium deliciosum

Koellenstenia graminea

Ludisia discolor

Macodes lowii

Masdevallia andreettana
M. tridens

Mischobulbum grandiflorum

Neofinetia falcata

Nephalaphyllum pulchrum

Orchis spectabilis

Paphiopedilum delentii
P. Deperle
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
P. henryanum
P. In-Charm
P. lowii
P. 'Magic Lantern' (have two of these)
P. malipoense
P. Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
P. philippinense var. alba
P. spicerianum
P. sukhakulii
P. wardii
+ 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
P. parishii
P. 'Zuma Camreal'
+ 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Phragmipedium Apple Pie (Mag Rose X besseae)
P. Audrey (Twilight X Grande)
P. Ackers Starlight (Twilight X besseae)
P. Cape Sunset
P. fairrieanum f. Bohlmannianum
P. Habingers Grasshopper (‘Green Goddess’ x ‘Verde’)
P. Kelly Nash
P. Les Dirouilles
P. longifolium
P. Magdalene Rose 4N x Barbara LeAnn
P. pearcei
P. Paul Eugene Conroy
P. schlimii
P. Sedenii
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice x pearcei
P. wallisii

Podangis dactyloceras

Sarcoglottis sceptrodes

Sedirea japonica

Spiranthes cernua 'Odorata'

Tipularia discolor

Tuberolabium kotoense

Waiting for-
Paphiopedilum dianthum back ordered
P. Silverleaf- backordered

Phragmipedium caudatum- back ordered
P. Schroederae- back ordered

Keeping an eye out for these to "possibly" purchase in the future-
Paphiopedilum appletonianum
P. insigne f. sanderianum
P. Lady Isabel
P. Leeanum
P. Maudiae
P. Pinocchio var. album
P. Transvaal
P. venustum album
P. wolteranium

Phragmipedium Albopurpureum
P. amazonica
P. boissierianum
P. caricinum
P. equadorense
P. exstaminodium
P. Geralda
P. lindenii
P. Praying Mantis
P. Richteri
P. Silver Eagle
P. St Ouen "Sweet Ice"
P. warcewiczianum
Oh me oh my! Fox Valley has some of these phrags- http://www.foxvalleyorchids.com/catalog2b.html

Looking for these miscellaneous-
Aerangis distincta
Aerangis fastuosa
Cirrhopealum longissimum (superior form)
Dracula hirtzii
Dryadella zebrina
Ludisia discolor alba
Masdevallia colossus
Mastigion putidum
Phalaenopsis tetraspis
Pleurothallis restrepiodes
Polycynis muscifera
Restrepia guttulata

***CAUTION***
ENABLER IN PREVIOUS POST

Wasn't it you who typed this in another thread?
I just saw the previous page, It looks like you have enough room to double your plant volume!

I poked around at that horrible rotten no-good orchid mall that Candace suggested I check out for "grins". I didn't buy anything but my lust list certainly grew and seems to be darn near as long as my grow list. I do have two spaces left in one of the little white Wardian cases, quite a few slots left in my largest Wardian case, and then there is that whole shelf that I had to make available which is around 24" x 54" with only one lone Paph currently sitting on it. I do need to focus on what I have which is why I stopped buying anything other than plants I had committed to purchase and a few that are back ordered. Well, I did buy some supplies to create potting mixes, some trays, ammendments, and fertilizers but those were necessary. There's always next year and the year after for more orchids.

That room w/ the tile floors has lots o' room!
Those aren't floors. That's the decking to a whirlpool/jet tub and those plants are about 2' off the ground. Better yet, no cats allowed in there.

Candace dear, about that horrible rotten no-good orchid mall of yours-
THIS is YOUR fault:
Paphiopedilum Fanaticum
P. kolopakingii x delenatii
P. liemianum x Victoria-regina
P. Limelight Vinicolor
P. Maudiea x (Hinying Majukun x Alma Gevaert)
P. Pinocchio var. album
P. Psyche x topperii
P. topperii x delenatii
P. wolteranum ‘Pink Wing’ x wolteranum ‘Horizon’
P. Victoria Reginae x lowii
P. Lady Isabel ‘Harrier’ x Deena Nicole
Ludisia discolor alba
Phalaenopsis speciosa v. tetraspis

I'm a sucker for pretty pictures. My favorite of the leaves on the above plants is the P. Limelight Vinicolor. I'll post a photo of the leaves when I get mine.

I never quite got around to Prags but I'm working up the courage to go back to that horrible rotten no-good orchid mall you told me to check out for grins.

Nice choices! Did you get them all from one vendor? Or did you spread the love around the horrible orchid mall?

You and Eric are the ultimate enablers. I think that's what I like about you two the most.

On Sept 29th, I spent a few hours poking around at the mall. I don't know what came over me but I showed some of the photos to my husband and he said they all looked really nice and that I should buy a few more. Yesterday I was near Oak Hill and stopped in and bought a few of their little left overs from their show the weekend before and then I came home and looked at my new little babies and thought to myself, "I think I'll do what my husband told me to do and buy a few more". So, I bought a few more from that mall place. I spread the love around. Wait till you see the leaves on that Limelight.

You know what I found out? There's a Phrag out there called Lauren. I WANT that plant. It's got my name on it so I feel I need it even if it is butt ugly.

Here we go! Current as of today-

Aerangis biloba
A. citrate

Anoectochilus chapensis
A. formosanus

Aplectrum hyemale

Bletilla striata

Brassocattlaya Roman Holiday

Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Calopogon tuberosus f. alba

Coeloglossum viride

Cypripedium acaule (have 4, hoping for the best)
C. arietinum (2 ordered for delivery in spring '08)
C. parviflorum var. pubescens
C. reginae

Epipactis helleborine (not by choice am I growing this)

Goodyera hispida
G. pubescens

Habenaria (Platanthera) blephariglottis
I have a few more Platanthera out there but have forgotten what I have

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Mendenhall'

Jumella comorensis

Kefersteinia tolimensis

Kingidium deliciosum

Koellenstenia graminea

Ludisia discolor
L. discolor alba

Macodes lowii

Masdevallia andreettana
M. tridens

Mischobulbum grandiflorum

Neofinetia falcata

Nephalaphyllum pulchrum

Orchis spectabilis

Paphiopedilum callosum
P. delentii
P. Deperle
P. Fanaticum
P. hainanense x wolterianum
P. 'Harold Koopowitz'
P. henryanum
P. In-Charm
P. Lady Isabel ‘Harrier’ x Deena Nicole
P. kolopakingii x delenatii
P. liemianum x Victoria-regina
P. Limelight Vinicolor
P. lowii
P. 'Magic Lantern' (have two of these)
P. malipoense
P. Maudiea x (Hinying Majukun x Alma Gevaert)
P. Norita Hasegawa Hybrid
P. philippinense var. alba
P. Pinocchio var. album
P. Psyche x topperii
P. spicerianum
P. sukhakulii
P. topperii x delenatii
P. Victoria Reginae x lowii
P. wardii
P. wolteranum ‘Pink Wing’ x wolteranum ‘Horizon’
+ 6 more mottled leaf paphs where the tags are long gone. If memory serves me, they were mutts anyway and one of them was from Home Depot

Phalaenopsis 'Yellow Butterfly'
P. aphrodite (have two of these)
P. parishii
P. speciosa v. tetraspis
P. 'Zuma Camreal'
+ 3 more phals with no tags and two were from Home Depot.

Phragmipedium Apple Pie (Mag Rose X besseae)
P. Audrey (Twilight X Grande)
P. Ackers Starlight (Twilight X besseae)
P. Cape Sunset
P. fairrieanum f. Bohlmannianum
P. Habingers Grasshopper (‘Green Goddess’ x ‘Verde’)
P. Kelly Nash
P. Les Dirouilles
P. longifolium
P. Magdalene Rose 4N x Barbara LeAnn
P. pearcei
P. Paul Eugene Conroy
P. schlimii
P. Sedenii
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice
P. Sorcerer’s Apprentice x pearcei
P. wallisii

Podangis dactyloceras

Sarcoglottis sceptrodes

Sedirea japonica

Spiranthes cernua 'Odorata'

Tipularia discolor

Tuberolabium kotoense

Waiting for-
Paphiopedilum dianthum back ordered
P. Silverleaf- backordered

Phragmipedium caudatum- back ordered
P. Schroederae- back ordered

Keeping an eye out for these to "possibly" purchase in the future-
Paphiopedilum appletonianum
P. insigne f. sanderianum
P. Lady Isabel
P. Leeanum
P. Maudiae
P. Transvaal
P. venustum album

Phragmipedium Albopurpureum
P. amazonica
P. boissierianum
P. caricinum
P. equadorense
P. exstaminodium
P. Geralda
P. Lauren
P. lindenii
P. Praying Mantis FV
P. Richteri FV
P. Silver Eagle
P. St Ouen "Sweet Ice"
P. warcewiczianum

Looking for these miscellaneous-
Aerangis distincta
Aerangis fastuosa
Cirrhopealum longissimum (superior form)
Dracula hirtzii
Dryadella zebrina
Masdevallia colossus
Mastigion putidum
Pleurothallis restrepiodes
Polycynis muscifera
Restrepia guttulata

Those aren't floors. That's the decking to a whirlpool/jet tub and those plants are about 2' off the ground. Better yet, no cats allowed in there.

See, I told you it is a great place for more plants! I was looking over your collection. You have a couple [goodyera hispida for one] that are a little difficult to get, congrats.] Your native, hardy plants make me jealous; I tried some of them but animals and bad weather got them. The trick is to have so many plants that you have to have paths thru them to walk in the house, just like in the jungle. :p Tell your hubby he's the greatest for being so supportive. Oh and good luck w/ the St. Ouen 'Sweet Ice'.

The reason why I picked up more is because he went through the photos with me and told me what he liked and where he thought we should fill in so don't get overly impressed with his "support". First off, we've always had cats. Cats get old and senile and tend to view potted plants as litter boxes. We also have dogs and kids and they can be considerably more destructive than cats. I never allowed plants in the home until recently. I figured kids are older and hopefully capable of shutting doors but prior to this year; everything was hanging from a hook or in that one bathroom because what would have been the point to having house plants if they're going to get eaten, pissed in, or if a soccer ball is going to knock them over? Next, he likes plants scattered throughout a house and I've always been the one who liked absolutely no clutter in a home. That included house plants in my opinion. He's the house plant lover, not me.

Outside is where I like so many plants that you need paths through them to get to other areas of the property and that's exactly what I've been doing out there. Inside the house, I'd prefer it to be a debris free zone if that makes sense to you.

I have over 1500 species of native hardy plants (terrestrial, marginal, and aquatic) here on this property and that is no exaggeration. I tracked them down to purchase from legitimate nurseries, ordered them, and planted them one by one while systematically and methodically removing invasives and noxious weeds over the past 9 years. The hardy terrestrial cyps were the next logical step which is why I joined this forum to get much needed help. I knew I was out of my league with those cyps if I couldn't tap into the experience and knowledge of people already growing them. Psst, I have other hardy native terrestrial orchids that won't be listed above. They're out there like sitting ducks free for the digging and I've already had my fair share of issues from listing the acaule here. Eric, you and your wife or significant other are welcome at our home anytime if you are ever in the area and want to see my outside "work in progress". I love visits from gardeners who are into natives who know how much work goes into establishing them.

The answer for outside is electric fences; for inside litter boxes. :poke: Thanks for the invite, next year when I go to Chicago I'll give you a buzz, we can meet at Fox Valley/Hausermans.

This is my idea of ideal for inside - it provides extra oxygen [man-think]. :rollhappy:
P8301595.jpg

Back