• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hengduan Biotech Cypripedium list fall 2018

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
For those interested in Cyps. The C. tibeticum are top of the line flowers. BTW, the C. tibeticum "amesianum" is a very rare self pollinating type that's dwarf in habit with cool little flowers - a must have for Cyp collectors. Prices aren't cheap, but growing these plants from seed and sending them across the world isn't either.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-11-at-9.53.07-AM.jpeg

Last edited:
I's love to have a tibeticum, and they're even coming for a visit to Canada in October, but I think the summers are just too hot here to grow them outside in the garden.

@ True North - I think the greater issue is keeping the beds well drained in winter rather than summer heat. Heat does appear to be an issue with C. flavum, but not as much with C. tibeticum.

As for looking for domestic sources for Cyps, that is not a bad idea, but most vendors are buying their plants from just a few European growers anyway, meaning that “everybody” that sells Cyps, in particular the hybrids, are getting them from the same source. Getting plants from Hengduan Biotech gives you a chance at getting some very unique plants - straight from their native source. Also, you can be assured that the plants in question are true to form, not look alikes. You’d be hard pressed to find a reliable source of some, notably the aforementioned “amesianum” form of tibeticum, the lovely large flowering white based colored tibeticum, true calcicola, bardolphianum, plectrochilum, yunnanese, etc. I agree, if you want hybrids, then European sourced plants may be best, but for the pure species, I’d prefer those straight from China.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give one a try.

They're coming to Ottawa in October. Usually the eastern societies share the cost of sponsoring a foreign vendor for a speaking tour in the fall, so they may be going to Toronto and Montreal as well.

Yes, I have a few Cyps from Garden Slippers.

Latest posts

Back