Help!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPaph

Reaction score
Friends.
On this week end Cuba will be affected by very low temperatures (less than 10 C, very cold for us). It never happens. I grow my Paphs outside, and I am worried this cold could damage my plants, in fact some of my multies are in spike now. You that have experience with this weather, can tell me please, if this low temperatures could damage my plants?. Forgive my English, please.

Friends.
On this week end Cuba will be affected by very low temperatures (less than 10 C, very cold for us). It never happens. I grow my Paphs outside, and I am worried this cold could damage my plants, in fact some of my multies are in spike now. You that have experience with this weather, can tell me please, if this low temperatures could damage my plants?. Forgive my English, please.
My temperatures drop to 15 degrees C at night with no problems for my multis. I try to keep them dry when it is that cool. Less than 10 degrees C would concern me. Do you have any sheets or tarps to close off your growing area? In any case, good luck with your plants. Mike

I would bring all spiking plants indoors.

Any plants that is mottled or with sanderianum background, leucochilums and godefroyaes, bring inside too. They do not like cold.

Friends.

I grow all my Paphs outside here, we can get down to 2C in winter. They are perfectly fine. Including brachypetalum group. Had many of them for 10 years or more.

Didn't realize how cold it was going to be in the Southern US/Cuba. (Here in the DC area, a little colder than some past recent weeks.) From Motes:

Cold Warning

Sunday will bring the coldest temperatures in a decade to South Florida. We are providing again a link to the chapter on cold tolerance of various genera from Fla. Orchid Growing.

With temperatures predicted in the mid to low 30’s we need to take care of Hard cane dendrobiums, Phalaenopsis and vandas using the suggested methods in Fla. Orchid Growing. While hard cane dendrobiums of the sections Spathulata and Phalaenopsis are the most cold-sensitive of commonly grown orchids, plants from sections Callista and Dendrobium relish temperatures that just fight shy of freezing. Other sections of Dendrobium have cold tolerance between these extremes so, now is a good time to review the culture chapters on all the sections of Dendrobium.

There is still time before Sunday morning to follow the advice in Fla. Orchid Growing on cold protection. The worst-case advice on freeze protection also bears reviewing.

Stay warm!

Martin

Having had weather damage beloved plants, I suggest covering with a sheet if they are in ground, or take them temporarily indoors

I grow a number of species in cool-cold winter conditions, including wardii (does better for me that way), tonsum (still seedlings) and some of the brachypetalums. A short spell of overnight lows that remain above freezing is nothing to worry about, as long as the days get warm, and the roots aren't too wet.

I grow a number of species in cool-cold winter conditions, including wardii (does better for me that way), tonsum (still seedlings) and some of the brachypetalums. A short spell of overnight lows that remain above freezing is nothing to worry about, as long as the days get warm, and the roots aren't too wet.

Absolutely. It’s a tropical climate. While it’s unusual for the area, it’s nothing to worry about. Frost is a problem, which we don’t even get in a more temperate climate. Sustained cool temps and wet conditions will cause problems eventually. But a short spell is fine. Here is a praestans grown outside for a few years. No trouble at all with the occasional night now to 2-3C.

Attachments

• 83C3EDFB-6133-4809-A03D-654CBCE3B193.jpeg
    83C3EDFB-6133-4809-A03D-654CBCE3B193.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 7

Absolutely. It’s a tropical climate. While it’s unusual for the area, it’s nothing to worry about. Frost is a problem, which we don’t even get in a more temperate climate. Sustained cool temps and wet conditions will cause problems eventually. But a short spell is fine. Here is a praestans grown outside for a few years. No trouble at all with the occasional night now to 2-3C.

Both statements are absolutely correct.

Tonight and tomorrow will be the Must crItical days. Have taken all protection measures you have explained me.
THANK YOU ALL DEAR FRIENDS!!!!

How are the plants?
What did you end up doing to protect them?
Leslie, plants are fine today. For last night I placed Maudiae, sanderianum hibrid, Brachy hybrids, those in spike, and otler mottled leaves like argus inside home. Temperature dropped until 3.8 C in midnight. That is excactly very cold for the island. Still these plants are indoor. Tomorrow temperatures will be better and plants will be established in their places again.
Friends, thank you very much for all advises, I had all in mind.

Great to know that you moved some of the plants and that they are ok.

For brachys, only leucochilum (and godefroyae), thaianum and maybe niveum are lowland warm growers.
Concolor and bellatulum will take cool weather perfectly fine.
Parvis need cool (deleantii) to cold winter to do their best.
Even for Maudiae type, some species are from area that see cool to cold months. Mainly, wardii, venustum and tonsum.
Callosum is widely distributed so can't say for sure but it will at least go through cooler months.
Only handful of species are year round warm growers like curtisii, hookerae, and lawrenceanum to name a few.
Pretty much all the ones in the section Paphiopedilum like insigne, villosum, charlesworthii....these will be happy to be cool to cold during the winter.

Latest posts

Back