Help Please... Trying to apply for kovachii to be allowed in New Zealand

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
I am going to apply to our Bio security to allow kovachii into New Zealand and require information to answer a few questions that are on the application form. In particular:
1. Could it form self-sustaining populations in New Zealand
2. How easily could it be recovered or eradicated if it did form self-sustaining populations
3.Describe the biology and main features of the organism including if it has inseparable organisms.
4. Provide information on the risks, cost and benefits of the organism

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Possibly a reference to a similar application in another country?

Thanks in advance

Phrags grown from seed to flowering size plant takes 5-10 years. the flowering cycle from inflourescence initiation to full flower is another 4-9 months, after pollination takes another 8 - 12 months for seed pod to ripen, then another 8-12 months for germination and requires symbiotic fungi for germination success..the plant has specific growing requirements! it will only grow in a cool wet place north facing or under trees in brush...near impossible to be invasive

BS it!
Just says its a tropical orchid requiring a highly controlled greenhouse environment with no possibility of colonisation in NZ (which is true). Quote the endemic requirements.

I have just ordered Prof. Braem’s Phragmipedium book so hopefully this will help

Everything is illegal to import into New Zealand unless you have permission, I think. They take invasive species seriously and have done a great job with it, unlike most countries.

No chance it could become invasive. Would be cool if it did? :)

I've got no experience with this sort of process, but here are some things that might help in your answers:
-Phrag. kovachii is a narrow endemic species that requires a very specialized habitat. It's found on only a handful of limestone cliffs at high altitudes in cloud forests in Peru - conditions that it would be unlikely to find in NZ.
-Since you're bringing in flasks, there's no risk of any partner organisms coming in with it. Sowing orchid seeds on sterile media guarantees that the only organism present is the plant itself.
-Phrag. kovachii seeds, like all orchid seeds, require a specific mycorrhizal fungi to be present in the environment in order to reproduce naturally. In the unlikely event that the seeds got into the wild, the odds of those seeds finding the right fungi to germinate are next to zero.
-If it somehow got a foothold in the wild, it would be incredibly easy to eradicate. The cliffs where it was found in Peru were remote, but still stripped bare by plant collectors. Because the blooms are large and showy, any plants in the wild are easy to spot.

Good luck!

Back