Help, please. Does this look bacterial? Or what is it??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You test plants every three years? Even if you test new plants before bringing them into general population? Do you have new positives? Where do you think the infection comes from if new plants are virus free?

The first time I decided to test my entire collection I found 2-3 plants. Since then I have not found any retesting older plants in the collection. However, I was careful to test all incoming plants, specifically screening plants from older collections or divisions from vendors and always from auctions. I have had many positives for new plants even in plants from other growers who test and cull positive plants.

I was warned that sometimes there is not enough virus load in the plant to get flagged during the test. Sometimes the test itself fails, some test strips don’t run correctly. You can pick up virus when allowing plants to go to shows or meetings, being handled by multiple people, cleaned up by members not washing hands between plants, packed close and stored for transport, pulled for judging. Coming into contact with other virused plants or tables / stands, unwashed cloth, old wire used for name tags. Old pots that have not been completely sanitized, old metal stakes.

Often times I don’t test all the seedlings from a compot, I’ll only test one. Sometimes I don’t test individual seedlings from larger well know vendors who I know test. Other times I’ll run out of tests and will have to wait until I have the time and finances to purchase more tests.. around $5.75 was the cost of each test last I checked.

I do the best I can and I think it really depends on how many plants you have coming in and out of your collection. I’ll keep you posted if I find any positives this round. It’s been 4 years since I last tested everything.. I’ll probably finish up the majority of testing this fall / winter when I start repotting the phrags and have more time on my hands.

my position on this is a personal choice, I’m just putting this up here for your information. Whatever others chose to do with their own plants is their own personal choice and I respect their space and decisions.

The first time I decided to test my entire collection I found 2-3 plants. Since then I have not found any retesting older plants in the collection. However, I was careful to test all incoming plants, specifically screening plants from older collections or divisions from vendors and always from auctions. I have had many positives for new plants even in plants from other growers who test and cull positive plants.

I was warned that sometimes there is not enough virus load in the plant to get flagged during the test. Sometimes the test itself fails, some test strips don’t run correctly. You can pick up virus when allowing plants to go to shows or meetings, being handled by multiple people, cleaned up by members not washing hands between plants, packed close and stored for transport, pulled for judging. Coming into contact with other virused plants or tables / stands, unwashed cloth, old wire used for name tags. Old pots that have not been completely sanitized, old metal stakes.

Often times I don’t test all the seedlings from a compot, I’ll only test one. Sometimes I don’t test individual seedlings from larger well know vendors who I know test. Other times I’ll run out of tests and will have to wait until I have the time and finances to purchase more tests.. around $5.75 was the cost of each test last I checked.

I do the best I can and I think it really depends on how many plants you have coming in and out of your collection. I’ll keep you posted if I find any positives this round. It’s been 4 years since I last tested everything.. I’ll probably finish up the majority of testing this fall / winter when I start repotting the phrags and have more time on my hands.

my position on this is a personal choice, I’m just putting this up here for your information. Whatever others chose to do with their own plants is their own personal choice and I respect their space and decisions.
Pete, I thought virus was only spread through plant sap. Using clippers on one plant, then another without sanitizing or not properly sanitizing pots when reusing. I see the stake thing since you could pierce a root with a stake, but some of the other examples I had no idea about.

Thanks for that information. I've been testing my 150 or so orchids. I test all new ones coming in and I've been going around the yard and the house testing by grow area. It is expensive. I do it for culling/making room and because I have enough issues recognising and testing other diseases and cultural problems.
Thanks

I find that highly interesting! I never heard of a virus test for plants, could anybody please explain the mechanism to me?

I find that highly interesting! I never heard of a virus test for plants, could anybody please explain the mechanism to me?
Agdia makes one. You can get a 5 test minimum, or one with more. Not cheap, but what it is.
You cut a piece of leaf about the size of a quarter, macerate it in the solution, then insert the test strip in the solution no deeper than ¼”. In about 3 minutes you know. Kit comes with very specific Instructions—read them carefully. Here is a photo of both tests I did (with the examples of positive/negative tests for comparison). The first one is quite faint (test was recently expired). So I retested. Both show positive for CynMV.

Attachments

• A51F935A-0E44-4A33-B44B-964789E3FAB0.jpeg
    A51F935A-0E44-4A33-B44B-964789E3FAB0.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 13
musa

Home>Products>Pathogen Tests>Pathogen ImmunoStrip® Tests>ImmunoStrip® for Cymbidium mosaic virus & Odontoglossum ringspot virus (CymMV & ORSV)
ImmunoStrip® for Cymbidium mosaic virus & Odontoglossum ringspot virus (CymMV & ORSV)
ImmunoStrip® for Cymbidium mosaic virus & Odontoglossum ringspot virus (CymMV & ORSV)
5 tests $52
25 tests $144
Plus postage.

Here is a great article with photos of different representations of these two viruses on leaves.
https://staugorchidsociety.org/culturepests-viruses-virus.htm

Last edited:

Pete:
Where are you getting your tests? Agdia is $52 + postage for 5 tests and $144 for 25 tests + postage. More than $5.75 per test by a lot.

Pete:
Where are you getting your tests? Agdia is $52 + postage for 5 tests and $144 for 25 tests + postage. More than $5.75 per test by a lot.

144/25= $5.76, depending on how many units you order, pulls the cost of postage down, the postage was $10. So yes a bit more than 5.75. But not a lot more, definitely under $6. Either way these tests are too expensive. If you need to test larger collections I know of others who have gotten the buffer solution from another source and mix it themselves, then you still have to buy the immuno test strips which are $113 for 25. Which I need to look into. Maybe someone has this info on the details of the buffer solution?

144/25= $5.76, depending on how many units you order, pulls the cost of postage down, the postage was $10. So yes a bit more than 5.75. But not a lot more, definitely under $6. Either way these tests are too expensive. If you need to test larger collections I know of others who have gotten the buffer solution from another source and mix it themselves, then you still have to buy the immuno test strips which are $113 for 25. Which I need to look into. Maybe someone has this info on the details of the buffer solution?
You have to forgive me. I’m in the hospital after hip replacement this morning and obviously not thinking straight. 🙃. Goodnight...💤

@southernbelle
Thanks a lot for your explanation and the illustration.
A pitty the test is quite expensive for the idea of testing my whole collection...

Sorry to have bothered you right now, as you have more important things going. I wish you all the best! I'm sure you will walk and run in no time.

@southernbelle
Thanks a lot for your explanation and the illustration.
A pitty the test is quite expensive for the idea of testing my whole collection...

Sorry to have bothered you right now, as you have more important things going. I wish you all the best! I'm sure you will walk and run in no time.
Not a bother. I have plenty of time right now, it’s just that my brain is foggy from the meds.
I agree about the expense for a whole collection. THe place to start, your think. is with new acquisitions and gradually check older one.

Rega Biotechnology out of Taiwan also sells immunstrips.

I’ve not tried them (nor Agdia’s) but folks say they are a bit less expensive, especially on group buys. I see a few people selling them on eBay.

I bought the Rega test kits on eBay and they were not cheaper. The strips results were slower to develop and much harder to read.
The Agdia strips show results as soon as the control line develops. Sometimes one of the virus line results will be a little lighter than the control line, but always unequivocal, whereas the Rega results left me squinting and holding them up to sunlight.

You have to forgive me. I’m in the hospital after hip replacement this morning and obviously not thinking straight. 🙃. Goodnight...💤

Wow. NP, I hope you were able to rest up and your recovery is quick. It's amazing how fast the recovery for these procedures are these day. Some I have heard are even outpatient procedures, which blows my mind.

BTW, I laminated all the charts you sent me, and have them next to my monitor. On breaks I review the tables to see how I can best use the info for the collection. I'll use them for the rest of my life.. Thank you so much for organizing and sending those to me!

Pete

If you have a large collection you need to test, can you approach testing by grouping and sampling several plants with a single test to narrow down possible infected plants (and potentially reduce the number of tests you'd have to employ in the process)?

For example, if I have five new plants coming in, is it feasible to take samples from those five to put into a single test to determine if the whole lot might be virus-free without having to use five tests? So, if the results are negative, you can set aside all five plants as ok. If it's positive, you'd then need to test individually, of course.

I don't know if this can work, but maybe someone has experience with an approach like this.

If you have a large collection you need to test, can you approach testing by grouping and sampling several plants with a single test to narrow down possible infected plants (and potentially reduce the number of tests you'd have to employ in the process)?

For example, if I have five new plants coming in, is it feasible to take samples from those five to put into a single test to determine if the whole lot might be virus-free without having to use five tests? So, if the results are negative, you can set aside all five plants as ok. If it's positive, you'd then need to test individually, of course.

I don't know if this can work, but maybe someone has experience with an approach like this.

This idea actually ran through my head after Fauci mentioned it for COVID. The process of smashing up the leaf and mixing it with the buffer solution so that the solution will still run through the test strip with enough material from all the plants is my only concern.. leaf tips vary greatly, some thin some thick. by the time you smash everything up, you have a green soup with probably a higher viscosity? Not sure at what number plant this method would fail to run correctly. I would probably be comfortable testing 2 at a time myself.

Latest posts

Back