Help! Need someone to identify this Cattleya!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmkl

ST Supporter - from Minnesota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased this cattleya that was supposed to be Cattleya trianaei 'Cashens". This is it's first blooming and I don't think I got what I bought. Let me know if you need additional pictures to help with identification. The flower has been open about 48 hours.
PXL_20230330_142157631.jpg

Thanks!
Don

Unfortunately I cannot find the documentation or emails for the purchase. Probably accidentally threw out the paperwork with the packaging materials. When it first opened I considered composting it. But it is a very big flower and I like the fuschia lip and yellow throat. I have room for it right now so I won't make any hasty decisions.

Definitely not Cashens variety. I don't think it's A.C. Burrage either. Too much lavender in the lip, and not enough in the petals & sepals, At least not yet. we shall see.
But it is trianaei for sure!
-Patrick

The composting comment was just a knee jerk reaction when I realized that it wasn't a 'Cashens'. I have room for it so I will be keeping it to see how it performs on the next growth.

By the way if it helps anyone with further identification it has been open a few days now and there is no fragrance. Aren't trianaei fragrant?

The composting comment was just a knee jerk reaction when I realized that it wasn't a 'Cashens'. I have room for it so I will be keeping it to see how it performs on the next growth.

By the way if it helps anyone with further identification it has been open a few days now and there is no fragrance. Aren't trianaei fragrant?
Yes, they should be.
-Patrick

You know what? I think you might be right! I Googled 'Pink Gem' and it looks just like it. It has a new growth with a spike that looks like it will flower in a couple of months. I'll post a picture when/if that happens.

Thanks!

So I will swim against the tide. Please look at the quality clones of trianae that are available. Form, color, substance. Next the plant growth habit, is it a good grower, and does it flower (well) with at least two blooms on an inflorescence. Are bloomings consistent from year to year. I wish the border was not in the way, I would send you something nice to play with. Your time, effort and money should be well spent. Purchasing trianae cashens was a good start, the flower and plant have excellent qualities, better luck next time.

Attachments

• Aranka AG.jpg
    Aranka AG.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 0
  • trianae coerulea ODV plant.jpg
    trianae coerulea ODV plant.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Trianae seedling FV.jpg
    Trianae seedling FV.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts