• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Help, Looking for Books

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

I was wondering if there are any good books on slipper orchids, or general books with an extensive chapter on slippers? Want to get one for someone for Chistmas. Please Help!
Barb.

There are quite a few slipper books...all interesting, several excellent. Guido Braem ( on this list) has a beautiful book co-written with Guy Chiron....If Guido is reading this he can post how to get it (I'm not sure if its available from Amazon or not...). He has 2 earlier books that were co-written with the Baker's, but I do not know if they are still available. Lance Birk has the Paphiopedilum Growers Manual...available directly from him...don't know if he is still on this list. Philip Cribb has The Genus Paphiopedilum and The Genus Cypripedium...don't know the paph book, can't afford it (I do have the 1987 edition though...) but the cyp book is great...he also has Slipper Orchids of Vietnam, co-written with Leonard Averyanov (Timber Press...I'm sure its easily available from Amazon and Buy.com), an excellent book. If all else fails, there is the book by Catherine Cash, also by Timber Press....not as good as any of the others...outdated, poor photos....still, a slipper book. Take care, Eric

Thanks Eric, I already looked into Mr. Braems' work and it is not available from either Amazon or Indigo. A pity, I would be interested. I also investigated Mr. Cribbs work and the only thing availiable is the Slipper Orchids of Vietnam. I was hoping for something more broad ranging; however, maybe I will get later. I also ran across Catherine Cash, and I wasn't drawn to it, now I know why. It is also $160. Thanks for you help, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. I will check out these resourses for both authors.
Barb.

Have you looked at OrchidsBooks.com in Montreal. They have quite a selection and range of genus/topics to do with orchids. Have ordered from them 3 or 4 time and serice has been bood.

Thanks Heather, Gene. I am very happy to find Mr. Braem's book at a Canadian resource, perhaps I will order that for myself sometime in the near future:drool: I had to settle on a new orchid encyclopedia called Flora's Orchids, hopefully it will be a good one. Thank you everyone for all your help, this has given me all kinds of ideas.:) Which might be a very bad thing, given my love of books.:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Lance Birk's book and recommend it highly. I also have the one by Catherine Cash...it's older and outdated but a very good read anyways.

How much for Cash's book?????? I got it when it first came out, for I think $40....apparently it must be out of print. definitely not worth any large amount of money. Forgot to mention Prigeon's book, a general orchid book that is incredibly popular.....unfortunately, incredibly inaccurate and error ridden as far as paphs go...Take care, Eric

I can't remember how much I paid for the Cash book. I think that around $25 sounds about right. I got it, along with the complete Cattleya series (Withner) from George Norris when he was selling off his book collection. I believe I paid about $120US for the whole thing...a great deal as far as I was concerned.

Reference books and art books are costly. The amount of money I spent on books while working on fine arts degree was just apalling. Any deal is a good deal on these things is good as far as I'm concerned. Can't do without them though.:D The information is priceless.:wink:

bookfinder.com -- 'nuf said.

Several copies of Cash's book are available for under $50 right now. I think I paid around $30.

Mark said:
bookfinder.com -- 'nuf said.

Several copies of Cash's book are available for under $50 right now. I think I paid around $30.

Went and checked that out, looks like hours of fun.

OrchidNorth said:
Reference books and art books are costly. The amount of money I spent on books while working on fine arts degree was just apalling. Any deal is a good deal on these things is good as far as I'm concerned. Can't do without them though.:D The information is priceless.:wink:

My thoughts exactly Barbara. When he put the books up for sale there were a few people asking him if he'd take less.:confused: I jumped right in and bought them first. Good books are hard to find and when you come across them you need to act fast.

Fine arts eh? I used to draw in my younger days. Animals though...horses, dogs cats...I didn't find humans atractive so I didn't draw them. I've sold many drawings....mostly charcoal pastel on velvet or pencil/conte. Do you still work in the arts? (I don't)

Hi Wendy. I haven't done much artwork since school since I don't have the studio space. Just a little drawing here and there. Seem to put my creative energy into garden design these days. I'm thinking of going back to school for landscape architecture in the next couple years, if I can get accepted into the program I want.:)
Barb.

Latest posts

Back