Help Hanging Lights?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
I have a 400W MH lamp collecting dust in the basement and am starting to think seriously about using it in a spare bedroom. I see this sort of working out as being hung above a lowish table (or several benches) covered with humidity trays. Right now I have only about 80 plants on 10 trays, but if I were to double my collection again, say, maxing out at about 125-150 plants with varying light requirements, I want to plan the hanging of the light now to allow for possible expansion later.

I am looking at getting one of these light rail systems (I have a gift certificate I've been holding for just this circumstance) but am not sure if I should spring for the 9' light rail or if that is really too much space to even consider trying to cover with one light.

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/literail.asp

Suggestions welcome!

I have a grow rail I'd send you for the shipping, Heather... Two, actually, and I'm not using either. I think they are 6' rails.

I think 9' is pushing it with a 400W light. 6' works though.

littlefrog said:
I have a grow rail I'd send you for the shipping, Heather... Two, actually, and I'm not using either. I think they are 6' rails.

I think 9' is pushing it with a 400W light. 6' works though.

Holy cow, no kidding? That's way too generous...but if you are serious, I would take you up on that offer, Rob, with the condition that (as I told Lien when he sent the light last year) if you ever need it back, it's yours of course, just let me know.

I'm at a place right now where I need to get my growing conditions in order in a big way, but without spending much money at all as I could be moving again in the not so distant future. I was thinking the 9' seemed too long also.

Wow Rob, that's a very generous offer. I'd take him up on that Heather. I was pricing a light mover on the weekend and the guy told me $300. I have no idea if that is expensive or reasonable but either way it was too costly for me.

The 6' seems like the way to go to me as well.

Wendy said:
Wow Rob, that's a very generous offer. I'd take him up on that Heather. I was pricing a light mover on the weekend and the guy told me $300. I have no idea if that is expensive or reasonable but either way it was too costly for me.

The 6' seems like the way to go to me as well.

That is way expensive... Although a quick googling of prices tells me that these people have gone tech-happy. I found a light rail III for $189. I guess it depends on how complicated you want your light mover to be, I'd be happy with one that moves a light back and forth, but the new ones seem to make toast and expresso too. You can get a light rail 5 for a mere 350 dollars...

First person to ask for the second rail gets the same deal. Assuming there is a second rail... I thought I already posted that, but it seems to have disappeared.

Hi Heather:
You don't need to use the entire 9' of a 9' rail. You can set the stops at the end anywhere. So, a 9' rail could become 6' of rail or even 4'.

A word of caution. I used a light rail for a while. I didn;t like the 'klunk' when the trolly it the end to turn around. I choose to eliminate the rail by hanging the lamp further from the plants to get the same area illuminated at the same net light denstity.

This link might help http://www.hydrofarm.com/light_layout/

regards,
gary

k'nex, gotta use k'nex:

hps1.jpg

--Stephen

Back