Hello

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaphMadMan

phytomanic
Reaction score
Greetings Slipperfolk... Just a quick introduction of myself as I begin to participate in this forum.

I've only been growing orchids about 33 years, and seriously into slippers for about 10 years, so still just a beginner. Really into Parvi Paphs these days and a few other favoritie species, and intersectional crosses with multiflorals or sequential flowering types. Also a big fan of Cyps, but not currently growing any.

I'm starting to look seriously at Paph breeding, and coming from an academic background that includes plant breeding and plant genetics I find my perspective differs from many experienced orchid breeders. But I expect to participate in many areas of the forum, not just breeding issues, and I'm looking forward to it.

Kirk

Welcome MadMan.

In what direction are your breeding interests?

I grow mostly species and my breeding interest is more along the conservation aspect.

WELCOME. Only a beginner????? You have possibly been growing orchids for more years than some of the forum members have lived. It sounds like you have a lot to offer to this forum.

Welcome! :) Like you, I'm still a relative newbie to Paphs, having grown them for only nine years or so. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on breeding as I have just started dabbling in hybridizing, also.

Welcome MadMan.

In what direction are your breeding interests?

I grow mostly species and my breeding interest is more along the conservation aspect.

I think conservation breeding is especially challenging. It is so hard to maintain genetic diversity, and every generation of artificial propagation changes the wild type in unknown ways, even if you have a viable local wild population to draw from.

One of my breeding interests for paphs leans toward small easily grown plants with multiple colorful flowers - something that could replace every African Violet sold and make me rich. :evil:

Welcome, Kirk. If you've "only" been growing slippers seriously for 10 years, you must have quite a collection.

A couple times my collection has crashed and burned when circumstances didn't allow me to keep up with things, and I'm in a rebuilding phase right now after losing quite a few plants after having surgery at the end of summer. And I've never had a lot of space to dedicate just to orchids. But I do have some very nice things. :p

Latest posts

Back