Hello hello

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SAlm

Heya everybody, just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Stephen - and i've just recently caught the orchid craze. I am an extreme novice when it comes to cultivating orchids, i actually just started growing my first orchids about a week ago when i went to the Santa Barbara Orchid show. I initially bought a single paph. philippinense on a whim (probably should have picked an easier plant as my first) not thinking i would become so enthralled so quickly. I've only got one other paph at this moment which is a P. Yerba Buena 'White Caps' HCC/AOS x. P. Via Ojai 'Pink Frost' and ever since i got those little guys back to my house i have been obsessed so i've been scouring the web for any and all information that could help me make the plants as happy as they can be, which is how i found this site. Anyways, i would also like to give a big Thank you! to all the people on the boards, you guys have already helped me out so much and i look forward to talking with all of you and learning all i can about these beauties.

Welcome! This is a great hobby; it can take over your life and living space. Let it.:p

~P

Hey there! Welcome!
philippinense isn't so tough. They like a good amount of light though. Let us know if you have any specific quesions, okay?

I have five or oh, now six (!) phil varieties and they always sort of surprise me but many of them bloom very reliably every year.

When I first started I was told I had inadequate light. I had really great light then too. So, I've always been paranoid about light but you know? The plant that probably had the least light for over the last year (I've moved several times and lost my great Southern light) probably the most light neglected plant, is in spike with 4 buds. Yeah, it isn't the 5 buds it had a year ago, but the fact that I am going to get 4 I am thrilled with.

This is all a long way of me saying - if your conditions aren't perfect, tweak them. But your plants should still reward you even if it takes you a little while to figure out what they really like.

welcome!

I could tell you what happened to me during my first Orchid Year, but that might scare you. (Actually the second OY was logarithmically worse...)

Hi, I am Yune-Lai from Malaysia, I just join in and wants to know more about the slipper orchids, thks.rgds.

Thanks Ron-NY for making me feel at home. I will suft the forum from time to time for useful tips from your guys, Thks.

Thanks SlipperFan, you too. Any area I can input please let me know, but I am on the move, doing sales, so reply may be a little belated at times, rgds.

Latest posts

Back