Hello from sunny but dry Denver

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark1532

Hello everyone! I'm really excited to join and hopefully learn more about growing orchids! I still consider myself a novice, but have been growing orchids for about 5 years now. I have about 20, and would probably have a lot more if I had more room.

I currently only have 3 slippers;
1. Phrag Inca Treasure (Kovachii 'Goliath' x longifolium)
2. Phrag Jason Fischer (besseae 'Rick Hunter' x M.D. Clements 'Red Wing')
3. Paph Supersak 'Eureka' AM/AOS x Rasin Pie 'Hsinging' x Sib.
I actually have 4 little plants of the Paph Supersak, as the parent plant grew 3 baby plants about 1 yr ago.

Which leads me to my first question: The parent plant of Paph Supersak has hardly any roots, and hasn't since I rescued it from my mom. I currently have it planted in a mix of sphagnum moss and bark mix, and it's in a west window that has some shade from a tree in the backyard. The baby plants are in a separate pot, and seem to be growing nicely in the same window.

Any suggestions?

Welcome, Clark. But I am wondering about what you are calling "baby plants." Did you take them off the "mother" plant? I made that mistake and almost killed my first orchid, a Paph. Those "babies" are probably new growths which really should not have been separated from the main growth until you could divide the plant into no less than three healthy growths each division.

But it's too late -- they've already been taken off, so you just have to be careful and encourage their growth. The potting medium you have the mother plant is sounds good for encouraging root growth.

Photos might help.

Welcome from Orlando!

That cross #3 you list is an enigma. I believe they are mass produced generic Maudiae-type hybrids of various parentage all with the same tag. Regardless, they do tend to come essentially as community pots with one big plant maybe with a couple growths and one or more other plantlets. I believe they are sometimes compots because I've seen a pot full of the same thing with different growths each having distinctly different flower looks. If they separated easily, I'd venture to say they were individual plants to begin with and as long as they had good root systems, no harm potting them individually (as long as you potted to match the root system size).

Welcome to the forum from another novice orchid grower- just started my 3rd year of orchid growing last month:) You came to the right place-this is a great place to learn more!

Welcome Clark! Great plants already!
Dot gave the answer I would have to your question. That old parent plant without roots may well not survive, but with luck it might start new roots. Don't overwater it - and don't let it dry out completely either! These are the hardest things to figure out as a beginner. Don't feel badly if this experiment fails. We all kill some plants in our efforts to learn.

Latest posts

Back