Hello from Scotland!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dan_t

Hi all

Just thought, having already posted a couple of times, I should introduce myself. I've been growing orchids for a few years now, and concentrate mainly on Dendrobiums, Cymbidiums, Coelogynes and Pleiones (quite a large remit, I know, but I can't decide on one!).
However, in the last couple of years I've become slowly more interested in Paphs and Cyps. I have become absolutely besotted with parviflorum and brachypetalum types of Paph, and am rapidly increasing my collection of these!
I also like flasking orchids, and am looking forward to flasking my first Paphs - would love to swap pollinia with anyone interested!
OK, should go now - look forward to learning a lot on this forum - there are some fantastically knowledgeable people on here I know I will learn a lot from!

Dan

My paternal great-grandmother was born/from Scotland. A MacGregor ;> I got to visit Scotland for a few days. You've got a gorgeous country. Welcome!

I am a MacDonald (though we spell with it with the small raised underlined c - I should figure that out on the computer, actually.) Clan Ranald from Isle of Skye. My mum's family is Welsh.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I visited back when I was in high school and loved it. Not Wales or Skye though.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Welcome, Dan! I found that my slipper collection grew exponentially when I joined this forum, so don't be surprised if yours does, also.

Welcome Dan!

Where in Scotland are you?
I studied in Edinburgh during med school and loved my time there. The botanical Gardens there are a real treat. I managed to tour a bit, and have been back several times.
A friendly place!

Eric

Hi Dan, I like many others here, have visited Scotland - Aberdeen, Inverness, Edinburgh, Glasgow...and want to return to visit the Inner and Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Highlands. Im so glad you found us. This is an awesome group with many people of different growing conditions, a wide variety of geography, and some pretty funny personalities. WELCOME!!!:)

Thanks for your kind welcomes!
I'm in Stirling, which is between Edinburgh and Glasgow, but a bit further north. It used to be the seat of the Scottish Kings, until the 1600s when King James VI of Scotland became the First of England as well. I think this was the beginning of the end ;)

Dan

Hello and welcome, Dan!!! Would like to share some pics of your plants blooms!!!?

I will need some help with the Pleiones I am going to purchase again soon...;) (Summer spoilt everything...:(!!)

Hi Dan!

Welcome to Slippertalk, and greetings from Minnesota! I lived and worked in Scotland for 4 months once (doing an internship), and loved it, you live in a beautiful (or bonnie) country! I worked near Dundee at the Scottish Crop Institute (I was working with the small fruit breeder and working on raspberries). When I was done with my Internship I did a 2 week bike ride and went from Inverness to the Island of Sky; it was an amazing trip.

Robert

Hi Dan,

You have quite a variety going on there. They say, variety is the spice of life. Welcome!

Mike

Latest posts

Back