Hello from Oklahoma

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I just ordered my first paphs recently. I've been trying to gather as much info as possible. I currently have neofinetia, cattleya, oncidium, encyclia, phals, leptotes, and guarechea orchids. So I'm not new to orchids, but new to paphs. I do like my orchids to be fragrant, so if you have a favorite fragrant paph, let me know! Or any advice you wish you knew as a beginner.

Howdy, from Kentucky! Paph. malipoense is fragrant....for some!
Howdy! I'm thinking that's more common than I thought. I had asked about a dendrobium that should be fragrant, although it wasn't listed as such. The grower told me it's a toss up. So while I'm hopeful some of the paphs I ordered will be fragrant, I'm not holding my breath. At least I will like the form of the paph flower and foliage if it's not. I seem to be drawn toward the chunky round flowered paphs. Not sure if those have a name, I've seen something about a bulldog type, but I haven't read anything definitive yet. Thanks for your reply!

Howdy! I'm thinking that's more common than I thought. I had asked about a dendrobium that should be fragrant, although it wasn't listed as such. The grower told me it's a toss up. So while I'm hopeful some of the paphs I ordered will be fragrant, I'm not holding my breath. At least I will like the form of the paph flower and foliage if it's not. I seem to be drawn toward the chunky round flowered paphs. Not sure if those have a name, I've seen something about a bulldog type, but I haven't read anything definitive yet. Thanks for your reply!
Paph. hangianum is another fragrant specie...Kind of hard to find. Check out Paph Paradise and Hillsview for some Complex Bulldog Paphs.

Welcome from Dallas Texas. Phrags. are another good choice.
George
Do you think phrags take the same or more amount of watering than paphs? I was under the impression they needed more watering, so I was going to see how I did with the paphs first. I'm not the most attentive waterer, but I'm trying to do better.

Welcome, Sarah.

You might want to consider semi-hydroponic culture….
I've thought about that, but heard varying opinions on it. I've also tried some hoya in leca before, and it didn't go well. The top 3/4 of the leca stayed dry, so those roots were dying at the top. It was probably some error on my part, but I don't want to lose any orchids by experimenting with it again.

In my opinion hybrid phrags are much easier to grow than paphs as long as you keep them wet. Just how you do this is up to you. They’re also very quick to develop new growths and flower for a long time, several months.

Do you think phrags take the same or more amount of watering than paphs? I was under the impression they needed more watering, so I was going to see how I did with the paphs first. I'm not the most attentive waterer, but I'm trying to do better.
More, especially kovachii hybrids

All my kovachii hybrids set in trays of rainwater, which I flush and change weekly

Back