Hello from NJ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LindaFVB

Hi everybody,
I have been reading and learning from this site for a few weeks and thought it was time to say hello.:)
I am a newbie to orchids and still trying to figure out what works best for me. I have added 4 paphs. this year. I have a 'Delenatii x Victoria Regina' that actually put out 3 flower buds on its spike. Lost all three! The buds got big but fell off before they opened.
I also have a 'Macabre', this one has a new leaf just showing and has had nice growth over the summer.
My LunaMoth ' Gossamer' x limelight 'Day Glow', I recently purchased in S/H. This has an unopened flower, I hope this bud does not fall off.
And lastly I was given a 'A. Dimmock'. I can not seem to find anyplace cool enough for this big guy. I am still trying to find a spot where night temps. are low enough.
If anyone can give me any hints on how to keep this gang happy, I would certainly appreciate it!
Thanks for any direction and I look forward learning from all of you.
Linda

Hello, welcome to the forum Linda. Glad to have you here. Can you tell us about your growing conditions? How often you water, how much light do you give them, what kind of mix are they in...etc...etc..

thanks everyone for the welcome!
When I lost the last of the buds on 'Delanatii X Victoria Regina' I moved the 3 mottled leafed paphs. in with my phals. I thought they may need warmer conditions. All are on humidity trays. There is a 140 watt wonderlite 12-15 inches above. Also they are about 15 inches away from a s-w window. I use Better Gro products. They are planted in a mix of fir bark, charcoal and perilite. I fertilize everyother week with Orchid Plus 20-14-13. The 'LimeLight' day Glow is in S/H. This is my first orchid in S/H, and so far the bud continues to grow.
As far as the 'A. Dimmock", this is a big green leaf paph. It was recently divided. When I rec'vd it, some of the older leafs have a yellow tint. The new leaves look healthy and green. But my understanding is this plant likes cooler temps. in order to flower. So this one remains closer to a west window with a growlight. I am not sure if this one also had a virus. It has black spots on the back of the older leaves. I got this one at a class I went to here in Nj. At Duke Estates. The growers helped pot these plants and spoke to all of us and reassured me the plant was treated and it is fine.
Sorry for the long reply but hope this helps describe my conditions.
Right now, all 4 look healthy but the flower loss was disappointing. It is a learning process and I do appreciate all your experience.

Hi Linda, and welcome.

Be careful that the spike/buds don't get too close to your lights. I've found that can cause buds to drop. Also, a change in humidity/air flow from when the plant started to spike and if it was placed somewhere else after the spike grew can cause buds to wither. Especially if coming from a greenhouse environment to a home environment.

Thanks Dot for the advice. I will keep a close eye on any flower spikes.
Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but it looks like my 'Delenatii x Victoria Regina', the one that lost 3 flower buds, has another flower trying to grow. I only moved it to the other growing area last week. How many flowers can grow on one spike? Wow, if it is another one, that would be 4. I am glad I left the spike in place.That would have been a beautiful display, if all 4 opened. But fingers crossed, maybe this one will stay.:clap:
Maybe change from greenhouse to home was the biggest factor. Hopefully now, it's been 7 weeks, Victoria is ready to shine and show off her flower. When I got her she was just starting to show the first bud.
Thanks again

Heather, thanks for the explanation. I was not aware that so many blooms can occur sequentially on one paph. spike. As many newbies probably can admit, I bought the plant for the beautiful leaves and the name, Victoria.

Linda, welcome! I find moving a Paph in bud is not wise and sometimes will cause bud drop. I wait until the flower opend before I move it somewhere for display.

Hi Ron,
I started moving the plant around after the second bud fell off. I knew the third was not going to make it so that was when I took the plunge again. I hope to have found a good spot now. It's been a week now.I still see a fourth tiny bud beginning on the spike. So fingers and toes crossed.
The bud on Luna Moth 'Gossamer x Limelight 'DayGlow'( the name reminds me of a sodapop:) ) is getting very big. A pretty shade of green. So the gang seems to be doing well.
The new leaf on the 'Macabre' is growing also. Shame I lost those other buds but as I think Dot mentioned, the change from greenhouse to home could have done it too. Maybe 4 is the charm.

Latest posts

Back