Hello from London

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@musa - thanks for the heads up! I am actually German from Cologne but been living in London for the last ten years. Another reason I'm annoyed I cannot get orchids fro. German vendors currently - there seems to be a great choice and quite a lot of them.

I am visiting Laurence Hobbs orchids this week as I was delighted to learn I have an orchid nursery fairly close to me. They seem to have a great choice - thanks @eds for the shout out! I wonder if you are the same ed from YouTube who shares his experience with phrases and paths there?

@DrLeslieEe thank you for your kind words - I have had a look at some of your posts and your plants are very impressive and so beautiful. I was in love with your Paph. Lowii fm aureum Mango? Stunning colour. They seem difficult to grow but would love to have a plant like that in the future. Also after seeing your Paph. Purpuratums I want one! I would love to hear more about how you grow and what your set-up is. Would be great to buddy up.

I'm still working on this mini greenhouse but hopefully will post some progress soon!

I am visiting Laurence Hobbs orchids this week as I was delighted to learn I have an orchid nursery fairly close to me. They seem to have a great choice - thanks @eds for the shout out! I wonder if you are the same ed from YouTube who shares his experience with phrases and paths there?

Lucky you! Very jealous as I only ordered remotely from him. He was incredibly helpful and great plants.

That's not me I'm afraid. Though there are a few UK members on here and one of them might be!

@musa - thanks for the heads up! I am actually German from Cologne but been living in London for the last ten years. Another reason I'm annoyed I cannot get orchids fro. German vendors currently - there seems to be a great choice and quite a lot of them.

@DrLeslieEe thank you for your kind words - I have had a look at some of your posts and your plants are very impressive and so beautiful. I was in love with your Paph. Lowii fm aureum Mango? Stunning colour. They seem difficult to grow but would love to have a plant like that in the future. Also after seeing your Paph. Purpuratums I want one! I would love to hear more about how you grow and what your set-up is. Would be great to buddy up.

I'm still working on this mini greenhouse but hopefully will post some progress soon!
Glad you like the plants. It has taken many years of trial and error to grow them well. Even now I'm still learning lol. But that's the fun of it. Anxious to see your set up.

There are so many great experienced and helpful people on this forum. Reach out whenever you need help. Someone will know the answer.

Greetings from south (new) jersey.
I used to grow tons of phal species (and lots others) under lights in upstate ny which is pretty dark and dreary. You can find lots of shelf type things, even rolling carts with removable shelves and posts, plastic under to catch runoff, muffin fans inside to move things around
Also in Britain there are some terrestrial orchid vendors, or perennial vendors who sell terrestrials

Years ago I stayed two years in cologne as a student. At the time I had no idea of orchids at all and so I couldn't profit of all the orchid breeders in the region. Nevertheless I had a great time.
Now, interested in orchids, I'm living in an orchid diaspora...what an ironie of fate!

Years ago I stayed two years in cologne as a student. At the time I had no idea of orchids at all and so I couldn't profit of all the orchid breeders in the region. Nevertheless I had a great time.
Now, interested in orchids, I'm living in an orchid diaspora...what an ironie of fate!

Can't help to repeat cliches/quotes/sayings after reading about your dilemma:

First = Hindsight is 20-20 and

Second = If there's a will, there's a way!

End quote. :)

Of course there is a way and the pandemic lock down has helped, too. It has increased my online activity and in consequence my orchid-online-purchase!
If that goes on I have to think about storing my Paphs in a cloud...

@musa oh god - I feel the same. I have too much time currently to get tempted to buy too many plants.

@cnycharles - good point - I had a look at similar things but as I live in a studio flat I was worried about sleeping in a room where I'd have to keep up humidity all the time - now thinking about greenhouse like solutions where I can contain a good environment for the plants without having to live in it haha

@NYEric - Cheerios are my friend's favourite as well! Btw saw some of your plant posts and loved them! Great pics.

Hope everyone is enjoying their week :)

Aloha Daniel,
I have (quite) a few phrags here in Honolulu, Hawaii, as well as a number of other orchid genera. One of the things I like about phrags is that they mature and bloom a lot fast than many of the paphs (an over-generalization, of course). I would recommend starting with hybrids, like the Fritz Schomburg you mentioned, rather the species (like kovachii), just because they tend to be easier to grow and flower. Once you have a couple of growing/blooming cycles under your belt, then challenge yourself to kovachii. Just a thought.
Happy growing, Kate

Hey @KateL ,

thanks for your rely - I agree with you. I am reading up a lot but I think you need some practical experience first to get a feeling for the plants. Also kovachii is very expensive here and I don't want to put money down the drain haha.

Would love to see your collection. I only have Phrag Lovely Lynn and pearcei so far. I have my eyes on Fritz Schomberg and Robert Jan Quene. Also really like Apollo and Waunakee sunset.

Dan

Back