Hello from Dallas, Texas

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I have been growing orchids since I was 9 years old- almost 35 years now- but I have been away from Paphs since 2008. Back then I was posting as elpaninaro (these days I use my real name on forums.)

The last Paph activity I had was documented online in the sanderianum and kovachii Chronicles- the joys and tribulations of raising them from flask to seedling size. I was on Wall Street at the time, small firm I co-owned, and after the 2008 crash I very abruptly exited the orchid world along with many other hobbies because I needed to spend several months focusing 100% of my attention on steering the ship in the day job- including lots of travel. Not a good mix with a large population of seedlings that at the time needed proper care and to be raised in the interests of expanding their presence in cultivation. One of the best commercial vendors in the business took them on as I made a quick exit.

All went well in the long run, and now life has settled down a bit- and as I work on my next venture (NOT brokerage related thank goodness), I have time again to get back into the game.

It has been fun the past week to read up on the current state of things. I am happy to see that much of the handling of sanderianum and kovachii out of flask- indeed Paphs and Phrags in general- has been demystified. I am even happier to see few taxonomy changes as compared to other genera. I have no idea what to call the orchid formerly known as Brassavola digbyana and its plethora of descendants, for a start. At least with the Paphs I feel like I can speak the same language I did 10 years ago.

Plotting out a little corner of the dining room now to pick up where I left off in a couple of weeks- focusing on growing Paph species and a few hybrids from flask, and setting the stage for developing a breeding stock so I can enjoy a second career in retirement someday with the orchids.

Great to see so many familiar faces here. These days I post in forums far less frequently than I used to, but I do look forward to rejoining the Paph community and getting back into the thick of things.

Tom.

Hi Linus- right now none, but have flasks coming in a couple of weeks once I have the setup done and have soaked bark, prepared mix etc. I will be focusing on growing out flasks for now.

Heather- I was on another slipper forum before. Sadly the Chronicles were lost with a lot of other older data including just about everything I had ever posted through 2008 when I made my exit. This is my first time on this forum.

Tom- great to see you here and will PM you this evening. Hope life is treating you well.

Heather- I was on another slipper forum before. Sadly the Chronicles were lost with a lot of other older data including just about everything I had ever posted through 2008 when I made my exit. This is my first time on this forum.

Oh duh, of course it was THAT forum, lol. Too bad, as I recall you had a lot of growing data over there. That is my great fear for this place, some day someone is going to need to take over for me and I do not want data to be lost!

Well, glad to have you here!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I went shopping this evening and got the shelving and lighting, and just now ordered all the growing supplies online. That landscape has really changed- none of my past sources are in business anymore. And now to email Sam Tsui for the goodies :)

Heather- any interest in my doing a redux of the Chronicles? So many people are growing out flasks now that maybe it would be less useful than 10 years ago, but happy to do it if it would be of use. There will at least be sanderianum again- among other things.

Cannot wait to get started- been too long since I worked with Paphs.

Back