Hello from Canada

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Hi im new,
I'm a young orchid hobbyist from Canada. I was first introduced to orchids when I was about 10 years old. I've been growing orchids with my mom and our collection grew to 30 plants. What we were missing was a paph. It started when I was hunting for a Paphiopedilum as a Chirstmas gift for my mom last year. Unfortunately paphs are not sold conveniately here (probably why we didn't have one in the first place). I browsed every web catalogue, but no vendor would ship them in bloom in the winter,so I ended up gifting her a supermarket phal.

Well after all that shopping I ended up buying some paphs for myself later this year through the internet. I was 17 at the time (I sort did some manipulations using ID theft because I was under age, but don't worry I stole nothing but a name and age) I said I would stop at 5 plants, but I didn't stop. After hours and hours of research and browsing I was tempted to buy more. I guess I also loved the freedom of uncontrolled spending because I was just sending instant money from my bank account by paypal. Now I'm 18 and I personally have over 60 plants that are mostly paphs. I grow them on my large windowsill and under fluorescent lighting in my bedroom. I guess I caught an orchid fever...got trapped in the pouch of the paphs. What suprises me is that I bought all 60 plants in one year. When I reflect back at this year, I feel my experience is way too extreme, or is it? I spent quite a lot of money. Now our house totals to about 90 orchids.

I also grow bonsai indoors and I hope to create some more bonsai outdoors with our native Canadian trees. I display my blooming orchids with my bonsai. My orchid hobby is growing way faster than my bonsai...I might have to cancel my bonsai plans. I also love gardening and I am landscaping my garden.

I guess thats my life story...I hope to learn more from this forum because the members here have more experience than me.:)

Oh my first name is Fren

Hi Smartie
I love Canada. Maybe I'll move there someday and bring my paphs with me. ID theft eh? Couldn't get an older friend or family member to help with the purchases? Glad that's behind you.

Post a list of your plants in the Collections forum so we can oogle over them. :)

Hi well here what I bought if your interested:

Paph charlesworthii
Paph armeniacum
Paph insigne
Paph micranthum
Paph rothschildianum (‘R01’ x ‘R06’)
Paph haynaldianum (‘Jeannie’ x ‘Jackie’ AM/AOS)
Paph helenae (‘Ching Hua #4’ x ‘Ching Hua #5’)
Paph fairrieanum (‘Supernymph’ x ‘Excel’)
Paph moquettianum x hangianum
Paph primulinum var. flavum x Elfstone ‘Magic Touch’
Paph Druid Spring (druyi ‘Pittsford’ x primulinum var. flavum)
Paph Ho Chi Minh
Paph moquettianum x vietnamense
Paph chamlainianum x vietnamense
Paph philippinse x sanderiannum
Paph Magic Lantern
Paph Vanda M. Pearman (delentii x bellatum ‘alba’)
Paph Maudiae ‘Los Osos’ AMM/AOS x Red Pepper  #1
Paph Maudiae ‘Los Osos’ AMM/AOS x Red Pepper  #2
Paph Ruby Leopard x Hisinying Web
Paph Hsinying Dragon
Paph (Magic x Macabre) x Mod Maude
Paph Hsinying Silvercharm
Paph (Raven Holdenii) x (Raven x Ruti)
Paph Pulsar x Ruby Leopard
Paph ((Virgina Moffett x Osiris) x Joanne’s Wine) x Magic Water
Paph Pinocchio
Paph Shadow Glow (Varina Vaughn ‘Fire Engine’ x Winston Churchill ‘Redoubtable’)
Paph Midori x Lemon Tree
Paph Delphi
Paph Mad Max I x Insigne ‘Sanderae’ NoID something missing from label

Phrag Tall Tails ‘Tail-full’ x Mem. Dick Clements ‘Cardinal’
Phrag Mount Fallu
Phrag Albopurpureum
Phrag Randy Macdonald
Phrag Ecua-bess
Phrag pearcei

Phal philippinense
Phal schilleriana var. purpurea
Phal fasciata
Phal bellina
Phal amboinense
Phal lueddemanniana
Phal violaceae x amboinensis
Phal Ching Her Prince (Ever-spring King x Golden Sun)
Phal Haur Jin Star (Golden Peoker x Doudii Golden Princess)
Phal Little Emperor x Dtps. Autumn Sun
Phal Tristar Diamond (Green King x Haur Jin Diamond)

Blc. Chunyeah
Ctna. Maui Maid x Blc. Mahina Yahiro
Bc Maikai ‘Mayumi’ AM/AOS
Blc. Wanda’s Fire
Sophronitis cernua

Miltonia regnellii ‘alba’
Psychopsis Mariposa ‘Green Valley’

Neofinetia falcata
Neostylis Lou Sneary

Dend. Moniloform ‘Tosa Fukurin’
Dend Nalene Bui (Ise ‘Yayoi’ x Priness ‘Asai’)

Cyp. parviflorum var. parviflorum
Cyp. reginae

I really only needed someone elses ID for paypal untill my 18th birthday on Feb. 18, it wasn't too long. My mom didn't believe in internet shopping so I knew I couldn't get her card with her permission. I was just sending instant bank payments but with her card as backup. I can see why internet shopping can be bad now because I spent so much.

Welcome to the forum. yes internet shopping can be too convenient and even fraught with fraud. When I have the urge to buy. I make a wish list after a thorough review of all of the orchid webistes I have saved. I copy and paste the plant, size, cost and vendor information onto a word document called Wish List. It is like pretend shopping but can be fulfilling. This forum can help you decide which ones to add to the wish list (more than I care to admit), find info about cultivation (some are a real pain-more expereinced growers can give you actual information unlike some vendors who just want you money) and you can find great pictures, buy plants at good deals and Heather will correct any mispelled words for a nonimal charge-actually she is very knowledgable and a real asset as are so many of the forum members. Welcome

yuuiThanks Patrix, no charge for your next correction. ;)
I don't charge, Fren...lol! I'm just notoriously anal. Welcome to the forum!

I'm also the victim of REAL, SERIOUS ID theft. I deal with the consequences every day, so please, I hope that is behind you. :)

Looks like you're going to be a good Paph collector tho. I went from 18 plants to 56 in three weeks, all of the new additions were Paphs, but that's my record. It can be very tempting and easy to overspend. I have learned to fine tune my purchasing, but it is still difficult.

At any rate, welcome, glad to have you here!

I gotcha. There is no more ID theiving for me. I'm old enough now:evil: I didn't do anything serious. How serious were your consequences Heather?

Latest posts

Back