Hello from Bailey, Colorado!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gmdiaz

Hello everyone!

I've been reading here and so enjoying all the posts and photos! I am happy to see some of my friends here! And am looking forward to meeting all of you who share my love of slipper orchids!

I was born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas but moved to Denver, Colorado in the early 1990's. After finishing my degree at the University of Denver in painting and fine art, my husband and I bought our first house about 60 miles outside of Denver in the LITTLE town of Bailey. We have a post office, a lumber yard and under one roof. . .a liquor, firearms & tobacco store! ROFLOLOL But that's about it. The scenery is always gorgeous, especially now with the aspen leaves turning such luscious shades of yellow, green, red & gold. We've got lots of wildlife, birds, deer by the dozens, foxes, bunnies, elk, black bears and mountain lions. . .I love it.

The air is soooo dry here, though, that I can only grow orchids indoors in an enclosed grow rack! I've so far managed to tuck in about a hundred orchids at home and maybe another twenty at work. I am mainly interested in mini orchids and love all the "weird" ones, the ones that look like bugs or are hairy and/or warty. lol I love Restrepias, Pleurothallis, Lepanthes and Masdevallias! I've just gotten more seriously interested in slipper orchids and only have a few, so far. . .mostly seedlings. Due to space "issues" I haven't a single Phrag. and try to stay with the smaller Paphs.

Paph. Angela 'Juan Felipe Posada' AM/AOS (Krull-Smith) currently in bloom.
Paph. Bobby orr, AM/AOS (Krull-Smith)
Paph. Chrysippus
Paph. delenatii
Paph. Fumi's Delight
Paph. Hysingying Majukun x Paph. lawrenceanum
Paph. micranthum
Paph. moquettianum
Paph. rothschildianum 'Krulls Ruby x Crystelle', FCC/AOS
Two NOID Paphs both in bud just now.

My other love is Neofinetia. In fact, that is how I came across this forum - loads of good Neofinetia info here!

All these came from Glenn at New World Orchids. . .I love them!

Neof. Gojyo Fukurin
Neof. Kinkosei
Neof. Kinrokaku
Neof. Kirin Maru
Neof. Seikai
Neof. Seiryujushi
Neof. Shojou
Neof. Shutteno
Neof. Suikaden
Neof. Tenkei Fukurin

And I also really like some of the Neof. hybrids and have a few of these too!
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Bluebird'
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Kultana'
Ascocenda Blue Tahourdin x Neof. falcata 'White Flamingo', AM/AOS
Ascofinetia Twinkle (Neof. falcata x Asctm. miniatum)

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone here!

Hi Heather!

Yes, I am crazy about neos!

I'd love to know which ones you have!

My NEXT neo. . .I think is gonna have to be Shunkyudan! I love the weird flowered ones. LOL

Eclectic collection. Me likes it. :clap:
This is a great place to learn and meet great people. Post photos if you have any. If us slipper peeps love anything, its awesome pictures from our collections.

Well, then. . .here's a few for you!

Neofinetia falcata Shutteno in Erin Pottery
New World Orchids

Attachments

• Shutenno_2_053108.jpg
    Shutenno_2_053108.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Shutenno_4_052508.jpg
    Shutenno_4_052508.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
Neofinetia falcata Suikaden
New World Orchids
Erin Pottery

This one should bloom with greenish flowers and it's actually got two spikes around back. . .but they're stalled out just now.

Attachments

• Suikaden_082308_Orig_Web.jpg
    Suikaden_082308_Orig_Web.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
Neofinetia falcata Kinkosei
New World Orchids
Erin Pottery

I love love love this one!

Attachments

• Kinkosei_092708.jpg
    Kinkosei_092708.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
Neofinetia falcata Seriyujushi (Blue Dragon Backbone Lion)
New World Orchids
Pot from New World Orchids too.

Attachments

• Seiryujushi_082108.jpg
    Seiryujushi_082108.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5
Ascofinetia Twinkle
Fantasy Orchids
Erin Pottery

Really love this Neofinetia hybrid! Super nice hue and smells great. . .like Tang!

Attachments

• Ascf-Twinkle_080308.jpg
    Ascf-Twinkle_080308.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11
Your neos are lovely! I would like neos ALOT better if they'd bloom for me!
The pottery is gorgeous!

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes!

If you have not been to Vic Harris' web site check it out! The pots are wonderful and are even better in person. I have quite a few of them. lol

Erin Pottery!

I think the trick to getting the Neos to bloom regularly are T5 lights, good water, super good air circulation and steady fertilizer. I use MSU and RO water at about 1/4 strength. They don't like to get too hot or too dry or too cold and wet. . .shoot for intermediate temps and medium to high humidity, around 70%. What I am finding is that the Neos can bloom twice a year!

Wishing you all great growing and lots of blooms!

Latest posts

Back