Hello! From an orchid nut!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluefirepegasus

Hello there everyone. i was glad to find this place. Just another excuse for talking about orchids with other people who love them just as much as I do.

I currently have one paph. which is a green and white cross and one phrag called Socerer's Apprentice.

Other kinds that I grow include cattleya, phals, intergenic (parents miltonia with some dendrobium etc.), brassova and the newest to the bunch, enclyia (the cocho shell orchid), vanda, aeoscenda, and the foxtail orchid.

Most of those are new growing conquests for me. I got the orchid bug when I was in highschool and worked for a grower.

Hehe...I also have some bad insomnia from time to time.....which possibly could be another excuse to talk about orchids. Pretty bad huh? :wink:

Bluefirepegasus

:):D:) WELCOME TO THE FORUM! You've come to the right place! Do you have a GH? windowsill grower? under lights?

Well, goldenrose I have a screened in porch right now. This winter I am planning on building a contraption with lights and shelves so I can water freely and time light without having to worry about the carpet or carting plants all over the house.

And yes Candace....I actually already have a new slipper love. I love, love, love the little pink lady slipper cross
Paph. Ho Chi Minh
(Paph. delenatii ' Miss Saigon' x Paph. vietnamense ' Tokyo'). I didn't know there were slippers with fragrance!

I am just in love with anything little and pink. Alas, most of these little babies are very costly. I have learned over the years that if you don't have a greenhouse, it is better to get a plant nearly mature or mature. Survival rate is much better.

Bluefirepegasus

Anything more fragrant gets my attention. I am a huge smell person.

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone!

Bluefirepegasus

Welcome to the forum. I started with other orchids but am now gradually getting more into 'slippers'. It can become an obsession.
And thanks everone, for the tips on fragrant flowers. I'm sure that will help me sell my obsession to my wife! (lol)

Heheh...my husband doesn't quite get the orchid thing either. It is hard for him to understand how valuable the plants are and on top of that he is allergic to smelly stuff! How awful it would be to have plant allergies like his!

all he says when I come home with another orchid is...another one? and I say....well...you knew this was going to happen right? :)

Bluefirepegasus

WELCOME

You must have a very understanding husband. How lucky you are. Enjoy your plants, they can give a lot of pleasure. Possibly your husband will get 'hooked on orchids' along with you.

:rollhappy:I wish he would get hooked on them or at least as excited about them as I do. I am doing a small exhibit in an upcoming orchid show and he has promised to come see it. Perhaps when he sees all the amazingly huge and beautiful plants he might take to them more. He doesn't hate them but alas.....he is an engineer. He is very mechanical about most things. You know, numbers and all that mumbo jumbo. (No offense to the math people. ehhe...i suck at math!)

He came into the room the other night and asked me how his house turned into the amazon jungle so quick. (It is too cold so I had to bring my babies in.)

Bluefirepegasus

He came into the room the other night and asked me how his house turned into the amazon jungle so quick. (It is too cold so I had to bring my babies in.)

Bluefirepegasus

Sounds very familiar!
My husband found this poem for me a few years ago:
OUTSIDE IN

It isn’t enough to have plants in our yard.
Plants indoors are even more fancy.
These plants are in pots, for our floors lack soil.
Or at least enough to be plantsy.

Some plant-filled pots are on tables and chests.
Some riskily hang from the ceiling.
If you visit our house, you will find that it has
An indoors-and-outdoors feeling.

We can’t bring all of the plants inside,
But we’ve quite a good deal of greenery.
Our guests peer around from behind a plant
And say they admire the scenery.

Richard Armour

Heheh...my husband doesn't quite get the orchid thing either. It is hard for him to understand how valuable the plants are and on top of that he is allergic to smelly stuff! How awful it would be to have plant allergies like his!
Bluefirepegasus

It's a little unusual that he would have a problem w/ orchids as pollonia should release less material in the air than regular flower pollen. Plus there are orchids w/ little fragrance.

Latest posts

Back